Prologue

I am new to this, but I want to start by saying I have tried to find the answer to my question both within the official manual for Scrivener and in the online Wiki and in the Forums. I have also spent some time doing google searches to try and figure out my problem. I’m sure the answer is something simple I am just not getting but please take easy on me.

I’m trying to compile my novel and I’m using the Novel (Standard Manuscript Format) setting in the compile window. I can’t figure out how to get Scrivener to not treat my Prologue as a chapter. No matter what I do it exports the manuscript with the prologue labeled as chapter one.

I’m hoping someone can help me with this problem. I appreciate any and all comments you guys (or gals) send my way.

Thanks!
Josh

Hi Josh,

There a couple of ways of doing this. Perhaps the simplest, though, is this:

In “Processing Options” in Compile, look under “Individual Document Title Options”. There you will see a pop-up button that says, “Ignore Title Prefix and Suffix for…” The novel template adds a "Chapter " title prefix to documents, so you want to tell Scrivener not to apply that prefix to your prologue file. So, just choose the prologue document from the “Ignore Title Prefix and Suffix for…” menu (so that it gets ticked in that menu), and you should be good.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Keith