Proper formatting of parts and chapters when compiling?

I’m new to Scrivener and am stumped trying to figure this out. I’ve searching the Help but I can’t find the answer to my specific problem. Any help would be great.

I’ve got my draft split into two levels - top level folders are Parts, and second level I want to be Chapters. However when I go to compile, it just made all the folders into chapters. I changed the hierarchy in the compile settings so that the top level folder prefix is “Part”, but then there’s another problem - It still is numbering each folder, no matter what the level, as a chapter. I need the second level folders to have their own numbering within the top level folder…I hope this makes even a small amount of sense! So what I want is this:

Part 1
_Chapter 1
_Chapter 2
_Chapter 3

Part 2
_Chapter 1
_Chapter 2
_Chapter 3

But what I am getting is this:

Part 1
_Chapter 2
_Chapter 3
_Chapter 4

Part 5
_Chapter 6
_Chapter 7
_Chapter 3

Any suggestions on how to do this would be great! Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Ok, I thought I’d solved the problem by reading this thread: https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/parts-show-up-as-chapters-when-compiled/10386/10

However, the problem is only half-solved. By using the “Custom” compile settings in the “Novel (with parts)” template, I am now getting something like this:

Part 1
_Chapter 1
_Chapter 2
_Chapter 3

so far so good, but in part two i get this…

Part 2
_Chapter 3
_Chapter 4
_Chapter 5

I need the chapters in part two to be numbered independently of part one. Gah!

Basically what you want is to have the prefix for the first level folders to be “Part <$n>” and for the second level folders to be “Chapter <$sn>”–$sn is sub-numbering, so it will restart each time you get to a new $n tag. The compile settings for the novel with parts template uses the $t with a tag to keep separate Part and Chapter streams (so it should look like Part One, Chapter One, Chapter Two; Part Two, Chapter Three, Chapter Four, etc…repeating Chapter 3 as in your example is wrong, so there may be something goofy there if that wasn’t just a typo) but that won’t restart the chapter numbering per part.

$n and $sn will give you Arabic numerals rather than words. If you want words, as the $t gives you, you can do something a little tricky. Using “Part <$W><$rst_t>” as the prefix for the first level folders and “Chapter <$t>” for the prefix of second level folders will do it–basically, the <$rst_t> tells it to reset the numbering for the $t variable, so at every part it will reset. In order to keep it from also resetting the tag for the parts and giving you twenty Part Ones, you need to use a different variable for them, such as $W which will give you the number spelled out in all caps. (I think the settings in that template actually have the prefix set to be in all caps regardless, but you can change this by clicking “Case” at the top of the Title Options box where you set the prefix.) There may be a way to get this to work with tagged variables (like <$t:chapter> and <$t:part>), but so far I can’t make it do it. But this may be sufficient for you anyway.

Thank you SO much, this is exactly what I needed. And yes, the repeat of Chapter 3 was just a typo :slight_smile: I think I’m okay for now with just the numbers/numerals, but thanks for the tips on using the words as well! Appreciate it very much.