Pros/Cons of LibreOffice and Scrivener as alternative to Word?

More a usability aspect. It’s a web-based database, and I personally have trouble finding what I want in it, as the way it’s organized doesn’t seem to work well with my brain. It’s usually not that the info isn’t there, but it never seems to be under the topic I expect, and I have trouble finding search terms to display the info I want.

1 Like

Probably will work for you then. The only real problem I’ve had was getting an old-fashioned “.doc” (as opposed to the more modern “.docx”) in and out. Can’t really blame it for not supporting an obsolete format… But it will export as either .docx or (if I recall correctly) .rtf, one or the other of which should work with Scrivener just fine.

1 Like

This sounds like a case of great minds think alike… I have the exact same problem with web-based help! (This will be good to keep in mind) Thank you Silverdragon!

Thank you Mark. That is something I have also come to the conclusion of. I generally do have very short docs with one cohesive element. They are seldom more than a page or few. I hadn’t thought of putting all the non-text ‘stuff’ in their own docs until this discussion, but now I see several benefits of doing so.

Absolutely! Getting the structure right for multiple outputs has been foremost in my endeavors. I have some tweaking to do with some older structure stuff, but I’m pretty confident that I’ll be able to bring the old docs in and drop them right where they belong.

I have a much better understanding of where that should be now.

1 Like

I want to say THANK YOU! to everyone who put in their 2 cents here. Y’all have really helped me wrap my head around where I’m at in the process and on a number of different levels. I truly appreciate your time, knowledge and willingness to share. :heart:

@rms @kewms @Silverdragon @xiamenese @nontroppo @RuffPub

2 Likes

LibreOffice vs Word

To give a disclaimer, I haven’t had a copy of MS Word installed anywhere since around 2012. That said, I’ve heard a lot about Word in its present state, have looked up how to do things with it, and I know some of its technical limitations from the angle of .docx production, so I know a little—and of what I know, I would say to that main point of your question: LibreOffice at a conceptual level has the objectively superior and easier to use model for document design and production automation in conjunction with tools like Scrivener.

You can certainly get to the same point with Word, but it will also probably require programming macros to avoid a lot of manual post-compile labour. This is of course how the pros do it, and how they get an author’s manuscript into InDesign or whatever is used to make the actual book. The question is whether one as an individual wants to try and replicate such an industrial-strength process for themselves, when there might be something orthogonal to that that is easier to learn and implement.

So to summarise why I’d say it is better for the typical author: the way in which it works is highly compatible with what you can produce from Scrivener, and is a better platform for post-compile production and design (in that, with a carefully prepared workflow you don’t have to do any work to get gorgeous documents Scrivener cannot make, which is ordinarily the kind of thing mainly Markdown users enjoy).

My criteria there is a bit biased toward “best practice” document design, I will admit. Thus, when I say LibreOffice’s model is superior, from that context, it is because of these three words: stylesheet driven design. It is by far the best mainstream word processor I have seen for being able to design a document from top to bottom with stylesheets. What that means in practice for a Scrivener user is that what you need from the compiler is far simpler than what you need for Word, which is not very stylesheet driven.

With LibreOffice you can push all of the design over to LibreOffice, and can invest your learning time on a system that actually does a lot of layout-oriented stuff, rather than one that does a little bit, and often not terribly well. Here is a post that goes into a little why this is a good way to work, and here is another that discussed the practical application a bit further. There are posts further down as well for context, as it was initially misunderstood that I was advocating one compile and then spend hours changing settings in LibreOffice every time. What makes LibreOffice so good with Scrivener is that you don’t have to do that. :slight_smile:

LibreOffice works a bit more like a desktop publishing tool, in that it has page styles. The header and the footer, whether the section starts on the left or right page in the book, even the shape of the paper—all of that is governed by the document’s stylesheet. But what makes that special is that text styles can trigger page styles, which is the secret sauce that makes Scrivener and LibreOffice good companions.

In practical terms, that means a level one heading, as compiled by Scrivener, when dropped into a prepared LibreOffice document can go on to trigger a page style, which will declare it should have a page break, starting on the right side of the book, suppress the header and use an alternate footer (just to list a few common desires—we could also draw a box around the page or swap to landscape orientation or any number of wild things). This page style itself can then trigger a different page style following it, probably a “Left Page” style, which in turn triggers a “Right Page” style following it, and so on, for alternating header/footer/offset margin layouts and so forth.

With a setup like that you can get a nearly complete design almost straight out of Scrivener, doing things Scrivener cannot do itself, by doing little more than using styles properly in Scrivener. When working that way, one uses a much smaller subset of the compiler, and rather doesn’t care much about what the styled text looks like. LibreOffice will be taking over all of that, from page numbering to chapter/section numbering to the way different paragraphs look.

From what I understand, Word requires one to be much more heavy-handed when it comes to things like that, and it is more difficult to get a “best practices” document straight out of Scrivener because to accomplish that the only good way of doing so is with manual labour (or again, macros).

You will for instance primarily be interested in learning styles, section types and layouts. That’s about it! You will have no need for separators and will want to turn them all off. The Styles pane in the format designer will largely be used to create a list of names that you use in Layouts to create “Heading 1”, “Heading 2” and so on structure. The Page Setup area can and should be zeroed out. Like I say, you’ll be learning a subset of what Scrivener can do, because less is more in this workflow.

Incidentally, Mellel is a lot like this as well. However it is Mac-only. There may be other equally stylesheet-driven tools out there, but I would bet most aren’t free or cheap, and most in that category will be industrial-strength stuff like InDesign and Affinity Publisher.

And I couldn’t let a post go without saying that realistically that is a better target than any word processor, which like Scrivener, are also writing tools, not book-making tools. But, LibreOffice is closer to a book-making tool than any word processor I’ve seen, and its PDF output is probably acceptable in terms of typesetting quality.

Markup vs GUI

Since it was brought up, for systems like LaTeX vs word processing, which includes other markup systems to be clear, I think the main difference between the two could be best summed up by putting it this way: how do you best learn how to use software?

If you prefer software that puts all of the possible options in front of you using a graphical user interface, then systems like LaTeX will probably be frustrating to learn. But if you’re like me, and you find wading through tabbed dialogue boxes to be annoying and find it easier to just search for the right ‘command’ to type into the top of your document to make your footnote numbering different, then stuff like LaTeX will not be so bad to learn.

Either way, one will expend a lot of effort learning these systems. They are all complicated because they must address almost everything people need to do. They just express their complication in different ways, and are more or less conducive to different personal preferences.

That said, one needn’t conceptualise all of the markup realm as being so difficult as LaTeX. There are great alternatives to that system out there today which also follow the same rough ideas of using marked up text to generate formatted output, rather than learning layout software to do that in a visual environment. Some are even based on HTML and CSS principles, which are easy to learn and something not unfamiliar to many (certainly anyone who has tried to make an ebook should at least know a little of that). Some systems, like Quarto and Pandoc, make it possible to tap into more difficult systems like LaTeX without having to learn much about it, and by using a much simpler form of markup.

It can be an interesting and rewarding path, and given how the workflow to get there involves plain-text files, it is often more conducive to automation than the graphical path, which more depends on developers making good import/export code and so on. But again I would only recommend it if you like the premise itself, because honestly that’s probably the main appeal to using such systems in the first place. The capability comparisons are otherwise fairly even. There are publishers that use graphical workflows and publishers that use plain-text workflows, like DocBook and LaTeX.

3 Likes

Holy cow! I was happy that Libre was compatible in general with Scrivener and could convert my old file formats. I had no idea it played this well with Scrivener!

I initially was only considering how I could incorporate non-text images, TOC,s, and indexes. I see I wasn’t thinking big enough.

These capabilities… :exploding_head: I can certainly see this as a “simple” way to produce all the “little” bits, books, and articles on a much quicker timeline from within the big project as it doesn’t include the added headache of learning new language(s).

Learning the interface… Yes, but that is a whole lot less daunting than learning anything in a foreign language.

Thank you once again for adding a whole 'nother dimension to the workflow possibilities!

{Now to check out your links and get back to the manual… :wink:)

2 Likes

Does this only function with text styles? Or can paragraph/list styles also trigger page styles?

Ioa, could you explain what you mean by “dropped” please?

Does this mean that one would compile the draft to odt then apply the Libre template/stylesheet? Or would I copy the compiled odt and paste it into the prepared Libre template/stylesheet?

You can see what I am talking about in the Edit Style dialogue of LibreOffice. Right-click on any paragraph style, and select the Text Flow tab. Under the section on “Breaks” you will find the relevant options for defining the type of break, where it falls, and whether to trigger a page style change.

You would either create a fresh document from a template you’ve created, or open an ODT that already exists for this purpose, and use Insert ▸ Text from File..., indicating the compiled .rtf, .docx or .odt file. RTF is probably fine, since again all you need here are style names applied to the text, and RTF involves less complexity on Scrivener’s side. If things don’t look right at first, select all and use Format ▸ Clear Direct Formatting, after insertion.

I’ve never tried copy and paste… maybe that works? These things seem worth trying anyway. There is no harm in that. If it doesn’t work just File ▸ Reload and try something else.

3 Likes

If you were to use Scrivener with Pandoc, you could apply the template automagically during compile, so that your styles would work directly in the ODT file generated from Scrivener with no fiddling. The steps are:

1. Make a template, based on the default: pandoc -o custom.odt --print-default-data-file reference.odt — this gives you a custom.odt you can edit in LO changing each style and relationship. You can add custom styles too.
  2. Use Scrivener to call pandoc using the following setting: --to odt --reference-doc=/path/to/custom.odt — Pandoc uses this template to make the output doc using the styles in custom.odt

As we’ve discussed before, you can use Styles in Scrivener to trigger Styles in LO (e.g. the Scrivener Caption style becomes FigureCaption in LO). You can also apply any named styles even if they are not the common ones. For example the Scrivener compiler could convert paragraph and character styles to the following:

::: {custom-style="CuriousAside"}
This is text with a `placeholder`{custom-style="Placeholder"} text style.
And this is text with a `teletype`{custom-style="Teletype"}
text style.
:::

This makes the paragraph style CuriousAside and the inline styles include Placeholder and Teletype in LO. As an added bonus, at least when I last checked several years ago, Pandoc’s ODT was “cleaner” than Scrivener.

3 Likes

It would be helpful to understand why you want to ditch MS. If it’s just the subscription model, for example, well they do actually offer a one-off payment option.

The reason I ask is that MS Office does all the things you ask in your wish list and more, and the fact that you say you use spreadsheets extensively will always make me recommend MS Office first as Excel is an incredible program and all the other I have tried are just toys. And nothing out there opens and plays nicely with your back catalogue of Word files nearly as well as Word itself.

So I’m back to my original question. What actually is wrong with MS Office that makes you want to get rid of it? It’s hard to recommend an alternative that improves your experience without knowing what to avoid!

2 Likes

Thanks for chiming in pigfender!

The subscription model is my main peeve. Office 365 doesn’t suit me at all. (Internet access is not a constant for me.) I need something that can live alone on my computer and work anytime I need it.

I did look at the MS one-of, but didn’t see the entire suite offered. For the price they charge for of a fraction of the suite, I didn’t see enough value; nor did I see any reassurance that it would be continually supported for a reasonable amount of time for my liking. To the contrary, it was full of reasons why the one-of was a bad idea. (Add the fact that the help files, and a lot of the templates and addons are non-existant without internet access.) Last I looked, Access was on its way out for database integration as well.

At least with Libre, I can download the manuals for offline help, and it has the whole suite that integrates together. I know it’s not perfect, but the price is right. :wink:

Btw, I totally agree that Excel rocks. That is what took me so long to decide to change. Word, not so much. I still have an offline computer running (2003?) that is my fallback.

FWIW, I use the MS Office one-off. It includes Word, Excel, and PowerPoint for (currently) about US$150. I typically upgrade whenever they cut off support for the old versions, which is typically every five years or more. Mostly I use it because clients want to send and receive Microsoft-compatible documents.

Every so often I look at alternatives, but I haven’t found anything that justifies the learning curve for my (relatively modest) non-Scrivener needs.

2 Likes

Not my experience. Office 365 Word and Excel all work just fine off-line.

Yes, they put help and some of the obscure templates online, but I rarely use either. For sure I don’t shop around with different templates. My focus is on doing my writing and perhaps final formatting in Word. You may be able to bend LibreOffice to your will, but the world uses Word and if you seek help here or elsewhere, more likely Word will be in use.

If you need to shop for templates that are not offline, perhaps get copies of those you want when you are online and put them into your local template folder for Word. You can probably fill it up a lot of templates.

And as @kewms reminds us, buy the one-off versions if you don’t like the subscription model.

Full disclosure: I’ve used Word since DOS days, so my muscle memory is in Word. Even in my consulting gigs which had nothing to do with using Word, I ended up giving seminars in how teams can use Word better and effectively because that lack of using Word in “good” ways was hampering the projects I was hired to lead. The projects progressed much easier when we got Word “out of the way” but exploited. [Too many excuses about how bad Word is/was were getting in the way … saw through that and fixed it, numerous times]

1 Like

Exactly. You can use online versions of their apps if you have a subscription, but by default it’s a native application stored on your local drive.

I’ve not used libreoffice, but looking at a few screenshots it is trying sooo hard to be MS Office, and somehow managing to look dated in the process (perhaps a bit “Vista” era?). Why not stick with the original and market leading (for a reason) that you know so well?

1 Like

Because it’s not in my budget?

Well, that’s a very good reason. Then it’s a non-starter and looking at pro’s and con’s is irrelevant for your case?

All of a sudden? Well, okay. Sorry to hear that.

1 Like

See @AmberV’s post above for an example. In fact there are a bunch of reasons like this about the underlying style model. For example, LO better distinguishes paragraph and character styles, paragraph styles are hierarchically organised (so you can change all headings by editing the root header rather than one by one). This is just better engineered than Word (Styles anyway). The PDF output is way way better too.

As for the GUI — yup you are spot on, it looks like a dated Word. I’m no fan of Word (I do have it thanks to my University), but the UI is certainly crisper (as much as the ribbon is a UI clusterpluck). It annoys me that even LO’s SVG icons are all blurry and organising the toolbars is harder than it ought to be. But at the end of the day, LO is better engineered in the actual features that matter [to me] and clunky icons are not the end of the world[1].

[1] LO used to have a display kerning issue on Retina displays, where individual characters would be shifted by a pixel here and there, it was awful and it did stop me from ever wanting to work in it, but this got fixed a couple of years ago.

2 Likes

Scrivener and Scapple are probably the only software use-case overlap that @AmberV and I have. He is much more of a power user than I in most things. Even the post on LO was too long for me to comfortably read, let alone want to use software that requires that sort of effort! :laughing:

Give me software that just works and plays nice with others, please. If I have to look something up in a manual or seek advice on the internet, your software UI is wrong (for me).

2 Likes