Punctuation and MultiMarkdown conversion errors

When I use the built-in bold/italics conversion to produce MultiMarkdown output, the output gets slightly mangled if a comma or a period is marked while adding italics/bold in the non-converted text.

E.g. instead of only marking “boldword” when adding italics, “boldword,” is marked and set as italics/bold.

The multimarkdown syntax will then appear like this:
*boldword, *
instead of
boldword,

• which means it doesn’t get converted to italics, when it’s exported to HTML (I haven’t tried other MultiMarkdown exports.)

I’m using Scrivener 1.01.

Since this is my first post I’d just say that I love the app - and I hate that it wasn’t out when I started work on my dissertation. It’s too late to go from Pages to Scrivener at this point unfortunately :confused:

This is exactly why you have to do this via the the text menu rather than on export - in this case, your comma was bold, which is perfectly fine in RTF, but MMD doesn’t like it. There are lots of other issues you could have, too. Thus, if you use this, you have to go through your text and check that it is legitimate MMD manually. It would be very difficult for Scrivener to figure out ways around this, unfortunately.

Oh, and thanks for the kind words!

All the best,
Keith

Actually I did use the text menu. Everything I did in Scrivener (save headers) I used the normal italics / bold features (cmd-i/b). I then converted to MultiMarkdown using the text menu and in some places spaces were added before the asterisk.

I just tried making a new document and this time I couldn’t reproduce it. I’ll keep an eye out for whether it was just a one time thing or whether I’ll stumble upon it again.

Sorry, I didn’t explain myself very well. What I meant was, the reason you have to do all of this through the Text menu, and that you can’t just do it on Export, is that you need to check it manually because RTF and MMD expectations of bold and italic are different. Thus, rather than make it so that you could just convert these things on export only to find that your exported MMD file acts oddly, I made it so that these things were only available via the Text menu, so that you have to make your conversions within Scrivener, and can then manually alter anything that would not work with MMD before you export.
All the best,
Keith

Right, there is a bit of a philosophy difference. With RTF, it doesn’t matter what is bold or italic because it does not really mean anything. It just looks like as if means something. With MMD, everything actually means something. An emphasised punctuation mark and space does not mean anything, so it gets messed up. I would recommend simply typing in the asterisks as you compose, so that you know for sure where everything is going. It requires no more thought or effort than pressing Cmd-I or Cmd-B, just a different way of thinking.

One limitation you will run in to is that parts of words cannot be emphasised in a manner different from the rest of the world, as in submarine. For the most part, this shouldn’t be a problem unless you use emphasis as a literary device.

To further clarify: The conversion operation in the Convert menu is meant to be more of a convenience for rapidly getting legacy rich text documents up to specifications for MMD. It is a bit clumsy as a composition tool for the very reasons you have stumbled across.

But what about the other way around? What if I write in the MMD stuff, but then decide I want to export out to RTF (not using MMD–>RTF because of how it deals with footnotes)?

So you are basically writing in RTF so that you can use footnotes. And then for another purpose, duplicating the Draft, converting it to MMD, and then exporting?

Hmm, I guess in that case I would advise precision when using the RTF tools. Treat them like structural tools and you should not run into any issues.

Then you have to manually reformat. :slight_smile: