Put synopses in TOC

Hello,
I’ve searched and searched for an answer to this, so apologies if I’ve missed mention of it elsewhere.
My problem is that while I know how to create a table of contents with page numbers, I’m trying to establish how to have the synopsis for each chapter included in the table of contents along with the heading titles.
I’ve tried to do this by putting <$synopsis> in the TOC after the already existing <$p> tag/token, but this doesn’t seem to do the trick.
Many thanks for any help.
Arthur

Right, that won’t work because this token only inserts the synopsis for the current document, the ToC document. I can’t really think of a good way to do this automatically. You could of course compile out a list of just titles and synopses using a custom compile setting, and even have the “<$p>” bit in there as well, but you’d have to go back and manually link up each of those <$p> tags to their corresponding documents. I don’t think that would be any faster than using copy and paste to put the synopses in yourself. It would probably be easiest to split the editor and use the outliner in the second pane, so you can quickly grab the text for each item and paste it in.

Thanks for your thoughts, AmberV.
It’s a real shame that there’s not a way to do it automatically.
The reason is that I’ve got lots and lots of chapters [that I change around the order of frequently, because it’s not a novel] and I want to be able to easily knock out a MSS in one configuration and have the synopses that briefly explain what each chapter’s about of course before then doing another for somebody else but which might have various chapters missing.
So the manual way really isn’t feasible. But thanks for the tips for how I would do it that way if I didn’t need to be able to do it more swiftly.
Maybe I should put a post in the “new features requested” thread, since I imagine that it would be helpful for lots of people [although the fact that a search yielded nothing suggests perhaps not].
Cheers,
Arthur

Hi,

No need to start a wish list item. Scrivener’s TOC is very basic, as Scrivener isn’t intended as a final layout program but rather as a first drafting tool, so there are no plans to start adding more advanced features at this stage that pertain to final layout, I’m afraid. (Not that I rule anything out for the more distant future of course.)

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Well, if all you want is a big list for status, you could just compile twice and combine the two files. Make the first a list of titles + synopses (maybe try starting with the enumerated outline preset, which was designed to accommodate synopsis formatting, but needs to be turned on in the Formatting pane), print that out, then print the rest out (ToC optional at that point). You could put section this into two or three columns to save space (see Layout Options). If you use the same numbering token in the title prefix setup, cross-referencing will be easy.

Try something like the attached. This will use two columns, print title, label/status, and synopsis, and omit all items beneath the second level of depth (so you just get parts & chapters):

title_synopsis-two_column.plist.zip (5.21 KB)

Hmm, I just had an idea. The OS X text editor lets you snip bits of text out of a file much like you would if you were putting scissors to paper. You can snip out a big rectangular chunk from one document and paste it in a likewise orientation into a second document. Theoretically, you could compile a list of titles & synopses and then paste the results of that compile in on top of the linked title in the ToC list. That might work, and if not in one shot, with a little prod here and there to fix any line alignment problems.

The trick is to hold down the Option key while using click & drag.

Actually!

I solved it. Key ingredients:

Processing Options:

[X] Update Scrivener links containing titles to include prefix/suffix

Formatting:

[X] Title
[X] Text

Title Settings > Title Suffix:

Since the ToC links each title name, the names get updated with any suffix/prefix you set in Formatting. Thus, each line gets the synopsis appended to it. This means the rest of your printout will have the synopsis after the title as well. If you want to avoid that you could just compile the ToC document this way and then use a standard compile setting for the rest of the document.

You’ll need to play a bit to get the formatting right most likely.

Thank you ever so much, AmberV.
I won’t have a moment to try this until the weekend, but I really appreciate this.
Thanks a million!