Puzzled about right indents

The manual (p. 208) says:

Given that description, I would expect a value of .5 in to put the text boundary .5 in from the right margin. Instead, it appears to put the boundary .5 in from the left margin.

Am I missing another setting somewhere? I really would like to specify the distance between the right margin and the text.

In case it matters, I’m on El Capitan Beta 5.

Same El Cap, Beta 5. Moving the RH indent as below doesn’t do what you want?

[attachment=0]right indent.png[/attachment]

It does not. Both that marker and the option (in the Format > Text > Tabs and Indents… dialog) set the distance from the left margin.

To see the problem, imagine that I want to create a block quote style that is inset from both the left and right margins by 1/2 inch. And I want it to be 1/2 inch regardless of the current page width and margins.

If I print in standard manuscript format on 8 1/2 x 11 paper with one inch margins, I want the right edge of that block quote to be 1/2 inch from the right margin (which is 1 1/2 inches from the right edge of the paper).

For that size page and those margins, I have to set the “right indent” to 6 inches.

If I print in 5x8 inch format with, say, half inch margins (to send to CreateSpace for a paperback interior) I want the right edge of a block quote to be 1/2 inch from the right margin (which is 1 inch from the right edge of the paper).

For that size page and those margins, I have to set “right indent” to 3.5 inches.

So whenever I change the margins or the page width, I have to set “right indent” to a different value. I don’t want to have to do that.

The seemingly misnamed “right indent” specifies how far the right edge of the text is from the left margin. I want a way to specify how far the text is from the right margin, and I do not want to have to adjust this every time I change the margins or the page width.

Scrivener doesn’t do styles (as yet).

From section 15.4 (page 209) of the current manual:

You can copy ruler settings between paragraphs:

This is indeed how right (or tail) indents work in the OS X text system - they determine the right margin of the text from the left margin.

A future version of Scrivener will support styles so that you can override the formatting of specific chunks of text when compiling for different formats or settings, though.