Question About Date/Time and Title Page

For the record, I’m using the Novel template :slight_smile:

First, is there a way to change the current date? Because right now my Scrivener thinks that it’s December 5th, and it’s December 31st.

And also, on the title page it has my e-mail address at the top, and I got a new e-mail address, so I’m wondering where I tell Scrivener that so it doesn’t keep using my old e-mail…?

Thanks for any and all help!

The date is taken from your system’s “Long Date” format, so if it’s not inserting the proper time, check your OS calendar. The text inserted isn’t dynamic, though, so if you mean that you inserted it on the 5th and it hasn’t automatically updated, that’s expected; you’d need to insert again to get the current timestamp.

Your email and home address are taken from Address Book, so editing them there will correct it for the future; for the existing project, just delete it and type in the correct info.

That’s too bad about Scrivener using the Address Book for author info on the title page and such. After all, authors commonly use pen names. Would be nice to have a Scrivener Preference to set up with the appropriate information.

In the meantime you could always just create yourself a new Novel template (or whatever template it is you’re using) with the correct information by creating a project with the template, replacing the information in the title page with the proper pen name, etc., and then choosing File>Save As Template…

If you still want the address, phone number, etc. hold the option key when first hitting “Choose…” to create the empty project from the template. This will create the project with the template variables visible, and you can just replace <$template_fullName> with your pen name in the two places it appears.

Or you could just fix it in the title page when you start a new project. Given that it’s not that much text to replace and it only needs to be done once per project, it really isn’t a ton of work. But if you’re regularly using a template and creating lots of projects, the above may suit you.

??? :slight_smile: I definitely think this sort of stuff should remain in the Address Book - that’s the standard way of doing it, and as you point out, you can create your own templates if the standard behaviour doesn’t do what you want.

Best,
Keith

It was a very open-ended “meantime”! :wink: Let’s be serious here, Keith: come Fully Conscious Scrivener 4.0, I’m sure it will just psychically know what name to put in on the title page. But until then, I offered an alternative.

??? :slight_smile: I definitely think this sort of stuff should remain in the Address Book - that’s the standard way of doing it

True enough, but if I wanted the standard way of doing it I would look no further than Microsoft (which I hate btw)

I see where you must compile before you see the template at work. Fine, however, the Title Page that I manually changed with my pen name information, including different email address, looked good but then all 29 pages of text still put my other (birth) name in the upper right corner of each page where, of course, I would like my pen surname to appear. Must I change every page manually?

Also, a glitch appears when compiling. I have 29 pages of my own text but before them at the start I have:
--------------begin copy paste----------
CHAPTER ONE
Chapter

Surname / TITLE / 4
CHAPTER TWO
Another Chapter Folder
Begin each new chapter on a new page like this with the
chapter number about a third of the way down the page. In
Scrivener, this can all be dealt with in the Compile
settings.
The “Separators” pane of the Compile sheet can be set to
start
a new page for each chapter folder, and the “Formatting”
pane
can be used to add page padding at the top of the new page
and
insert the chapter number (the latter using the "Title
---------------end of copy paste-----------------
The copy/paste lines I put in this message. I compiled to a .pdf while highlighted on the folder that contains only the title page and Chapter 1 of my work. No other files are in that folder. Any ideas? Thanks,

The template placeholders in the project, such as <$template_fullName> get replaced when you create the project; you’ll see that immediately because it will just show up as your name, address, etc. If you want to see the placeholders themselves, you need to create the project holding the opt key when clicking “Choose…” on the template picker screen.

No; this is part of the compile options (and is not specific to the template). When in compile, choose Page Settings and replace <$surname> in the header field with whatever name you want to appear there.

In the compile pane, did you select specifically “Current Selection” from the dropdown menu at the top of the Contents pane? Your binder selection won’t apply otherwise. Also be aware that subdocuments won’t be included unless they are also selected (that is, if you have only selected the Chapter folder and not the documents it contains, those documents will not be compiled with this option).

The name in the header can be dealt with by changing it in the “Page Settings” of Compile - it’s the header. As for standards, it has nothing to do with Microsoft - Pages by Apple does it this way too; the Address Book is the standard central resource for this sort of thing on the Mac. 'Tis the “Mac way”. Users already complain about too many preferences, so it would be silly to add yet more preferences for something that can be handled nicely for 99% of users just by accessing the Address Book. (You can’t please all the people, etc.)

The text you pasted seems to be from the novel sample PDF - did you copy and paste some text from there into a document at some point? (The text must be in a text or folder document at the start of your Draft folder somewhere for it appear when compiling.)

Sorry I’m such a nuisance but you did answer my question. The Compile menu has the option I was looking for so that works fine. That’s all I needed for my 1% pen name.

I almost got the compile the way I want it by selecting only the title page and the Chapter 1 text but the text of Chapter 1 starts 2/3 of the way down on my title page. They are separate files, title page with only the title info and then Chapter 1 with my 29 pages. Can’t figure out why it is compiling Chapter 1 starting on the title page. Thanks for your timely responses. Much appreciated and I can’t wait to get back to my writing but I wanted to get things set up properly first.

Be sure that in the Contents pane of the Compile options, the box for “page break before” is checked for your Chapter One folder (or whatever is the first document compiled after the title page).

You’re not a nuisance, despite your snarky asides. :slight_smile: Everyone wants something different (everyone’s a critic!) and I can’t bend Scrivener to suit every single user’s individual needs (excepting my own), as I’m sure you understand.

As MM says, ensure you have “Page break before” set for your Chapter One document, or that “page breaks” are set in the separators pane of the Compile settings. If you don’t want new chapters starting half-way down the page, change the “new page padding” in the “Formatting” pane of Compile.

I’ll follow those instructions and that should fix it.

Snarky? You should look in the mirror, bub.

EDITED FOR CUDDLINESS: I’ve done nothing but explain the reasons behind things you have complained about and try to help. Ah well…