Question about formatting

I’ve been using the beta since the beginning and just downloaded 2.0. Being a computer geek but knowing nothing about code, it’s pretty cool to watch features get added, see bugs get squashed and watch the speed of the program improve. It’s a cool ride to be on. :slight_smile:

Here’s my question:

I don’t think I’ve messed with the formatting features of the program yet because I just wanted to get the text down. And I’m a long term Word fanatic, though I’m switching to Scrivener the second the program is in alpha.

Is there way to change the formatting so I can change the whole project at once? I have something like thirty scenes and tweaking them all at once would be tedious. In the final chapter that I just started writing my formatting is like this, which is how I want it:

[indent] “You should really buy Scrivener,” he said.
[indent] “Cool.”
[indent] Then Bill Gates returned home from the conference where he set about buying out the company that made Scrivener and running it into the ground.

But in all the other chapters it’s like this:

“You should really buy Scrivener,” he said.

“Cool.”

Then Bill Gates returned home from the conference where he set about buying out the company that made Scrivener and running it into the ground.

Any thoughts? Obviously it’s a tab/first line indent/spacing issue, but I can’t seem to figure out what I’m doing wrong.

Basically, you aren’t doing anything wrong. :slight_smile:

There is a default format option tab that you can visit where you can set up how all new documents are to be formatted, but this of course will do nothing to existing documents as that would be assuming an awful lot. The missing ingredient is a feature that will be added soon, which will let you select a bunch of items in the binder and apply the application default formatting to them.

So my advice would be to hold off on any bulk reformatting until that tool exists.

FYI, in software development Alpha comes before Beta so is actually a less finished version. The next major stage for Scrivener is when it gets released in a few weeks (fingers crossed) and we’re all able to buy it.

Okay, i’ll hang on. Thanks guys.

And thanks for the tip about alpha/beta, I’ve had that wrong my whole life.

Hmm. I bet this computer I’m using isn’t a PC, either…

What you want to watch for is when it goes gamma. :slight_smile: Hardly anyone uses that name, but everyone does the phase: release candidates.

And then when it goes gold you get to party!

Yeah, for about ten minutes.

Then the web site crashes and the tech inbox inflates to several hundred new entries overnight. :slight_smile:

Your obvious problem was that you didn’t leave the office and go out for drinks somewhere that you couldn’t see all that. :wink: