Question about inline footnote from a new user

Hi,

I recently found out this great software and love it. I have a question about inline footnote and would appreciate any help, thanks!

I love the inline footnote system, and even though I am aware about the inspector footnote system as well, I would love to use the inline footnote for my writing. However, sometimes I would like to see the text without the footnote portion. Is it possible to hide the inline footnote temporarily?

After searching the old posts on this forum, I noticed that there was discussion about “ghost notes” which the section can be rendered transparent of a sort, but I could not figure out how.

Thanks!

Zach

Hi Zach,

I’m afraid there’s no way to do this, no. Scrivener 1.x had a “ghost notes” feature which would fade the footnotes and annotations, but this got dropped from 2.x for speed reasons - essentially it was a major cause for typing slowdown on many systems, so its usefulness was severely negated by the typing lag it would cause.

A much better solution would be, as you say, being able to hide the footnotes entirely. Unfortunately technical limitations in the OS X text system make this seemingly impossible. (It’s possible to hide paragraphs, but not arbitrary ranges of text within, or which may span multiple, paragraphs.) When you sign up to the developer programme with Apple, you get two “technical support” incidents (and can buy more) which allow you to get code help from Apple engineers, and in fact I asked them for help with this exact issue a year or two ago - I asked them to help me find a way of hiding text in the OS X text system. Unfortunately, even one of the most experienced and senior Apple text engineers - a guy who codes a good deal of the text system, I believe - couldn’t get it to work. So, if the Apple text engineers can’t find a way to hide text using their own text system, I have very little chance! I’ve chatted about this to one of the Nisus developers, too, because they have been looking to for a way of hiding text ranges for a long time, too, so we’re both lamenting this and hoping we one day find a solution, or that Apple introduce something to their text system in a future update that would allow for this.

(By way of context, we use the standard OS X text system in Scrivener - we’re too small a company, with me as the sole Mac coder, to write our text system from scratch, and thus sometimes run into limitations like this. In an ideal future world we’d get rich enough for me to hire someone to write our own text system.)

Glad you’re liking Scrivener so far!

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your quick reply! As a lawyer I am used to inline notes any way. It is a great system and I am thrilled that Scrivener has the function, even without the ability to hide it. Love the program and will let my colleagues know about it, too! Thanks again!

Best,
Zach

Actually this is one small trick you can employ that will do what you want in a static way. It’s basically an emulation of the MMD way of defining footnotes, where you place a bracketed reference marker in the intended location, and then type out the footnote content itself further down in the document with that same anchor within it. The screenshot below demonstrates the technique.