Question about the searching tool

Hello !
[I’m french, sorry for my english. I hope to be as clear as possible]

I’m not completely satisfied with the searching tool but maybe I’m not using it properly.

Let’s imagine I have written a long text. And let’s imagine I want to see every time I’ve mentionned a character named “Jack”.
Is there a way I can have a list with all the excerpts where “Jack” is written ?
Now, when I’m searching a word I see all the docs where the word is included but I have to browse the text (which may be long) to see the highlighted word I’m looking for.
I would appreciate a more direct tool ?
Is there a way to do this ?
Thanks !

There is not a way to do that.

Interesting idea though. That would be something like the way Find works in Preview.

gr

P.S. Notice that you do not need to use Project Search for what you are doing. You can use Scrivenings Mode to get all the document texts you want to search in the editor pane, then use regular Find for ‘Jack’, and then scroll or use Find Again (cmd-G) to walk through the found occurrences of ‘Jack’.

English follows

Voici comment moi je m’y prendrais avec les fonctions actuellement disponibles :

1- Faire une recherche globale dans le projet de manière à obtenir une liste ne contenant que les documents où se trouve le mot voulu.

2- Utiliser la fonction Edit / Find / Find (Ctrl+F (Windows)) pour naviguer d’une occurence du mot à la prochaine dans les documents de la liste conséquente à la recherche antérieure.

(Tu peux sélectionner tous les documents dans la liste résultant de la première recherche (ça te donnera un Scrivening de tous ces documents) et y naviguer selon l’étape 2.)

Telles qu’en sont les choses actuellement, je crois que c’est la meilleure approche.

Here is how I would tackle it :

1- I would do a global project search to filter documents containing the desired word.

2- Then I would use Edit / Find / Find (Ctrl+F (Windows)) to navigate from one occurence of the target word to the next within the documents in the previous search’s result list.

(You can select all the documents filtered at step 1 at once (resulting in a Scrivening containing all documents in which the target word is present) and then navigate through it as explained in step 2.)

You left out a step or two:

• Click on one of the matching documents and use ⌘A to select them all in scrivenings view
  • after using Find once, use Find Next (⌘G) to step through all the instances

Thanks everyone !
I’ll have a closer look next monday (I’m french and here the week-end is starting now :sweat_smile:)

Thanks again (and a special “merci” to Vincent)
I thing there’s no better solution.
May I kindly suggest to the Scrivener Masters that the tool could be a little improved.
For example the character I’m looking after is mentionned within several chapters and when I’m using the Find tool to navigate I can’t see which chapter is concerned.
And once again, this Find tool is not directly linked to the word and sometimes this word is lost in many pages.

Anyway, thanks again !
Have a nice summer

That’s why you’d use Project Search instead. Here’s a video:

search and find

Dear drmajorbob thanks for your help and video.
I’m doing the same way.
You’re right, the chapters where my character is mentionned are shown within the project research.
But after that, inside these selected chapters we have to use the Find command to scroll the differents occurences it would be very helpul to see in which chapter they belong…
I think the tool could be improved a step further.
Maybe i’m not so clear
Anyway, thanks very much for your help. I do appreciate.
Best regards

:wink:

It’s worth noting that one of those examples, the heading in the text editor itself, is not a default setting and needs to be enabled with the View ▸ Text Editing ▸ Show Titles in Scrivenings menu command.

There is also one more! In the search sidebar itself the section your cursor is currently in, within a Scrivenings session, will be highlighted with a more subtle bar than the main selection bar.

Quite obvious indeed ! (I should have been blind during my research :hot_face:)
Thanks

Great to know
Thanks again