Question and Maybe Feature sucggestion

To on the flay split large documents into subfiles is a great and wonderous feature. However It only seems to work linearly. If you wanted to extract a particulary section it’s not so easy.

EG. Paragraps A, B, C occur in that order.

Now as it is the program allows me to weasil split them into FIles A, B , And C in that order.

However if I say wanted A and C to remain in one file and B to be split into a different file. It’s not so easy.

Am I just ignorant of the proper methodology?

A few of ways that come to mind…

• Select the desired document in the binder and duplicate it (right click > Duplicate or Documents > Duplicate), then select and edit the first/original document (delete B block of text out of it), then select and edit the second/duplicate document (delete A and C blocks of text out of it). Or some variation thereof.

• Split (Documents > Split) the original document into three, as discussed. Select the resulting first document (now just holding A text) and third document (now just holding C text) in the binder (click on first, then Ctrl+click on third), then merge them (Documents > Merge).

• If you are feeling more adventurous… select the ABC document in the binder, add a new empty document below it (right click on it, Add > New Text, reselect the ABC document in the binder, in its editor window, select the B block of text and “cut” it, select the new empty document below it in the binder, click in that new document’s empty edit window and paste the previously cut material.

There are probably other ways to also do this, including shuffling A B C blocks of text around in the original document into desired sequence and then doing the split.

May be worth the precaution of making a backup of the original document item before trying this. Could do by snapshotting the original or making a duplicate of it that can delete after are comfortable that whatever you opted to try worked.

Now see. the number of steps that requires just sort of illustrates why this should possibly be considered for a feature in the next version. I’m not saying it couldn’t be done. Just say that the ways for doing it are very counter intuitive. It’d be nice if there was a simple one click solution. Add a Split .> Split around Selection feature that would create two splits in the original document. one at the begining of the selection , and one at the end of the selection.

It’s called cut and paste… Cut your selection and paste it into a new doc without all the work and filling a program with rarely needed fluff as the devs don’t want it to become bloat ware.

That’s rather rude. How would that proposed feature be anumore bloat that quite a few of the other situational features in the program. As I’m working on my own writing I often wind up breaking apart larger draft documents into smaller manageable chunks and as said, it works great from a linear perspective. but more than once I’ve found myself wanting to break out a specific scene or conversation from an existing black while still maintaining it’s relative position.

Cut and paste is how I have been doing it but, there can be a more effecient way I mean. One could have said the same thing you did when the original thought of being able to split documents as they do now first came up.

Is there a difference between Windows and Mac here? I Don’t know. But on a Mac I would split the original A-B-C document into three, A, B and C. Then I would highlight documents A and C in the Binder and merge them. Voila!

I would do the same. Two step process here on OS X, but perhaps the Windows version is different. That said, the possibility of extracting a paragraph from within a larger body of text is one that I would definitely be interested in seeing.

I really don’t see the problem. Cmd-X the paragraph (or Cmd-C if you want to keep the paragraph in the original document). Cmd-V in a new document. Mission accomplished.

I didn’t say it was a problem. I said it was a feature I would be interested in seeing. i.e. I would be interested in seeing how this might be implemented. Following your line of thinking the whole process of splitting a document could be easily accomplished by selecting required text, Cmd-x, create new document and Cmd-v. Mission accomplished, but splitting is a much more elegant solution.

I just wonder how much easier you can get than two keystroke combos. You’d have to select the thing to be split, where to split it, and what to split it into. The coding for such a process might be mind-boggingly intensive, when Ctrl(Cmd)+X followed by Ctrl(Cmd)+V already exists and works perfectly. Or, it could be very easy to implement. Not my field.

One keystroke combo? :smiley: . I’m perfectly happy with how things are at the moment in any case, so I’ll leave it at that.

Hello BigT29,
Apologies if you thought my post rude, it was not meant to be. It is a simple fact. Time yourself to do this little exercise it should take you seconds with two or three mouse movements.

Select your scene by placing cursor at the start and holding down the mouse button drag the cursor to end of scene… a second or two.
Right mouse on your selection and click Append selection to document and select new.

This places your scene/paragraph or whatever in a new document at the bottom of the binder complete with a generated name from that scene/paragraph.

It is done in two or three moves and takes seconds so why do we need another method?

Good luck with your writing.

This is the method I would use, then just use the Delete key to delete the selection from the original document. Making an extra backup before this kind of restructuring is never a bad idea.

The problem with adding a specific command for this is that it’s too vague. Once you extract a selection from the middle of a document, where does it go? Are you creating a linear split (A, B, C)? Does B go to the top or bottom of the existing folder (B, A, C; A, C, B)? Does it go somewhere else entirely? How do you avoid user confusion between this command and a large scale deletion, given that in both cases the selected text will vanish from the current document?

Katherine

Thanks! At least one or two keystrokes less than my suggested method. Don’t know what to do with all the time you just saved me. Procrastinate a little more on the forum perhaps :wink: