Question from tutorial.

In the tutorial it states that, “fade the background in and out (which can be useful if you want to have a reference document open behind full screen) and view the word and character counts of the document.”

Okay, how exactly do I have a reference document open and view the word counts?

Thanks.

Paul

if you scroll the mouse to the bottom of the screen a pop menu appears with the word info

Well, I went to full screen mode, scrolled the mouse to the bottom of the screen and I never saw the pop-up with the word info.

Could you please walk me through having a reference document open behind the full screen that shows the word and character counts?

Thanks.

Paul

I imagine the reference in the tutorial could be to a reference document that has not be brought into Scrivener, and the word count and character reference is probably what appears on the bottom of the full screen view and relates to the Scrivener document that you have open in full screen and not the reference document.

When you move the mouse right to the bottom of the screen (say in the bottom centre) and leave it there for a second, a little panel will pop up at the bottom of the screen with the word and character count. (You can see it in the first screenshot here.)

As for a reference document, that just means that you can see the Scrivener window or any other window (of another application) beneath full screen if it is faded. Actually, the tutorial is a little out of date in that recent updates changed it so that the main window is not visible beneath full screen by default (because it can slow down typing if you have the same document open in both windows for some reason). You can change this via full screen preferences by unchecking “Hide main window”. The tutorial is due for a rewrite for the next update anyway.

Hope that helps.
All the best,
Keith

Thanks Keith, now THAT clears it up for me. I have been reading the entire manual I printed and going through the tutorial. Although I have been using it for a while I never knew it had so many useful features. I really like this program.

Paul