Question: How to use annotation

I need to mark up a manuscript for submission to a magazine publisher’s fact-checker. I did this once before using the Annotation icon on my toolbar, but I can’t recall how I did it. I’ve searched the forums and the FAQs and I’m not seeing it there either.

And, of course, I’m in danger of missing my deadline.

If someone would kindly remind me how to do this, I would be most appreciative.

Right now I am highlighting the manuscript text for which I wish to provide a fact-checking annotation. Then I click the Annotation icon in my toolbar. That places a gray circle around the text. But I am stumped as to how to “insert” the actual reference that supports the text, the very info the fact-checker desires.

Also, I thought the circled area was red last time I used the Annotation feature. Maybe I don’t want Annotation after all. Is there something called Comments? Ultimately, I want to produce a .doc file that has my manuscript text in black with red marginalia “annotations.”

Please help me before I bash my head against the wall. :cry:

Actually, the text inside the annotation becomes the comment in Word. So just highlight the text you want to comment on with a highlight colour, then click after the text, hit Annotation, and type the comment inside the annotation bubble.
Hope that helps.
All the best,
Keith

Also, when you compile the draft, its probably a good idea to go to the “Text options”-pane and tick the “Export annotations as RTF comments”. I forget if this is default or not. Anyway - it ensures that your annotations end up in Word as comments in the margin.

Thanks, Keith. But it’s still eluding me. Here’s what I’m doing. Please tell me where I am going wrong:

1. I click and drag to select the text I wish to comment on. My screen displays the selected text area with blue shading.

2. I click the yellow Highlight icon in my toolbar. The blue shading turns yellow.

3. I place my insertion point at the space immediately following the yellow highlight and click the Annotation icon on the toolbar. Nothing visually changes on my screen.

4. I hit the spacebar a couple of times and an empty gray bubble begins to form. I click inside the bubble and Command-V the weblink I’ve previously selected using Command-C. The link appears in my manuscript, but it’s not enclosed in the gray bubble. Instead, my screen displays a small, empty gray bubble both before and after the link.

To test further, I go to Compile Draft, select Export Annotations as RTF Comments, and use Word (.doc) as the desired file type. I do get a Word document. But the two red marginalia comments are blank and the text that I wanted to see contained in the comment instead appears inline with my manuscript text.

What should I be doing differently?

Purpleplume, in step 3, don’t hit the annotation button. Instead, do like this:

Step 3. Place your insertion point at the space immediately following the yellow highlight and paste your weblink in.

Step 4.Select the weblink you just pasted in and THEN hit the annotation button.

That should solve it. Your problem arose because you were trying to past something into the annotation, and this, according to how you describe your problem, doesn’t work. The pasted text is not interpreted as a part of the annotation, splitting the annotation in two. This explains your two empty comments in Word.

This, I’m sure, can be blamed on the Mac OS and not Scrivener.

That did solve it! A chef from Norway pulling a food and wine writer from Florida out of the weeds! Bless you, chefpogo.

And thanks to all who responded to my cry for help. I love this community! :smiley:

A chef in nick, not in name, nor profession… :slight_smile:

Happy this worked for you!

And incidentally, you can paste external content into an annotation, just remember to use Paste and Match Style. Treat annotations like styles while editing; it’s a good rule of thumb and underneath everything that is precisely how they are handled. It’s no different than bold or underline. If you turn bold on, nothing happens, but when you start to type things look bold. If you paste a bunch of styled text into the middle of a bold line, it will not be bold. Paste and Match Style though, and it will.

Annotations and footnotes are just a different kind of “highlight”. They have functional purposes outside of that; they can be usefully engaged in the Compile phase, as well as searched for and collected into lists—but at the practical editing level, they are just like italics, and working in and around them will feel identical.