QUESTION re. quick reference panels and interaction with Windows

Hi. I really feel like I should be able to figure this out, but…

My goal is to be able to edit my document and have a separate space/window/whatever available for reference. I don’t want a spit screen b/c I have other purposes for that second part of the screen.

So, I open the reference document in the quick reference panel and windows treats it as a separate window. I try to set the two windows how I want them, and Windows forces me to have them side-by-side, so I adjust those to the proportions that work. The trouble is, if I need to go check something in a browser window or something, that window takes over either the whole screen or one of the side-by-side spaces and then when I try to return to Scrivener, both the main editor and the quick-reference are full sized and I have to reconfigure everything again. Is there a way to just get the Scrivener setup to stay in the same sized/location windows when I pop over to Chrome? I’ve turned off all the automatic sizing/snap options on Windows. I’ve tried both floating and non-floating windows in Scrivener. Is this a new “feature” of Windows–i.e., that one has no control over resized windows and the system can only maintain 2 non-full-screen windows at a time?

If anyone can explain this to me like I’m five, I’d really appreciate it.

Working in Windows has always required way too much window wrangling. Scrivener’s early advantage as a writing environment, at least for me, was founded in part on its window management, as it reveals secondary writing panes in a layout of the user’s choice. Floating windows seemed contrary to its philosophy of integration, but they’re a necessity as we interact with other apps, and they were added in time.

Windows though is on the cusp, after more than thirty years, of giving its users replicable layouts that fit their equipment and work style. I’d recommend trying FancyZones in Windows 10 PowerToys:

thewindowsclub.com/install- … windows-10

Rgds - Jerome