Questions about Linking Documents within Scrivener

I have started working with linking documents recently, and I am sure I am not getting something quite right. I can create wiki-style links, and I can also create a link within the text of Document A by Option-draging Document B into Document A. In the latter case, I can see the link in the document.

However, in many cases I do not want to see the link(s) in Document A. So far I have been Option-dragging the items in the Reference pane, which I think is wrong. I read the manual which notes that links can be dropped in the Notes Pane (8.5.1). How damaging is it that I have placed the links there? And how can I bring all links I have created so far into the Document Notes?

My second question: when I work in spit editor, even if I have locked the screen for Document A into which I want to drag links to other documents, it is pretty impossible for me to drag the documents in the Document notes section (or References, as I have been doing so far) because even if I try not to click on Document B, the Inspector pane shows me the synopsis and Document notes for a different document, i.e. not the one I locked in the top editor. I think that a workaround will be to use the Find synopsis window and to drag the items from there, but I have the items right in front of me in the bottom editor in outline mode, so it makes sense to me to drag from there. Is there another way? Am I doing something wrong?

And finally a clarification: I use document to mean a simple text file created from within Scrivener, not a pdf file I have in imported.

Browsing for something unrelated in the manual, I found a possible solution.

Working in spit screen with the top editor opened to the document into which I want to add links to other documents, and the bottom editor in outline mode containing at least some of the documents I want to link to the document in the top editor, I lock the Inspector for the top editor. Then, from the bottom editor, I can drag (no need to Option-drag?) documents from the bottom editor into the Documents References pane.

At the top of the inspector window, there’s a tiny padlock icon. That will lock the inspector to the active editor. When you click into the other editor, the inspector should continue to be associated with the first editor. If you have enabled “lock in place” on the first editor, then selecting things in the binder or the other editor will not change the inspector.

Note that if you have a scrivenings view of multiple document in the first editor, the inspector will still change as you click into the body of a different document there.

Example: Load the Interactive Tutorial project (you can create a copy of it by going to Help->Interactive Tutorial).
Split the editor horizontally. In the top editor, select the “Part1: Basics” folder, and enter scrivenings mode if possible. Lock that editor. Click into the first document (Step 1: Beginnings) in the top editor, so that the inspector shows Step 1:Beginnings too. Then click on the lock icon at the top of the inspector so that the padlock icon is closed.

click into the bottom editor and select Part 2:Oragnization in the binder. It may show you the cork board, or outline, which is fine. Now click on or in any of those documents. Notice how the inspector remains “locked” to the Step 1 document? Scroll down in the top editor to another document and click into the text; the inspector should change to reflect the new active document in that top editor.

So, the inspector will reflect whatever is the active document in the top editor, but will not change when selecting things in the binder or the bottom editor. This should let you drag or move the scrivener links into the Document Notes of the document selected in the top editor.

As for what’s the “right” place to put links to other documents; the references pane is a fine place to link documents to. It just depends on your preference. Scrivener links, whether created using the [[brackets]] or by using menu options, don’t generally go there. Instead, a drag of the document from the binder to another document’s reference tab should create one. Or you can start in the reference pane and add a link to another document that way.