Questions about versioning, sorting and history

So, I took the plunge and bought Scrivener the other day. I’ve been really impressed with the forum support and the quality of the software, but there’s a couple of things I wasn’t sure of.

1. Is it possible to keep versions of the manuscript? IE. I want to play around with some changes but I’d like to be able to roll them back if it’s not something I feel starts to work? I know I can do a “save as…” but it feels a bit clunky.

2. Is there a history window? I have a lot of character notes and folders and would like to be able to flick between the most recently used files without having to scroll through them all.

3. Can I alphabetically sort items in a folder?

Apologies if these are addressed in the documentation or elsewhere on the forum but I haven’t been able to find the answers…

Cheers!

1. You can do backups of the entire project. It’s not a simple matter rollback, but it can be done.

You can also make snapshots of an individual document.

2: At the top of the editor area within Scrivener, where it displays that document’s title, there are left and right buttons that work very much like back and forward buttons in a web browser. If you split the editor, each editor gets its own history.

3: Not automatically, as far as I’m aware. You can create a collection and experiment with document order there, but you’ll have to re-sort the binder that way if you want your binder to reflect the new order.

One way to preserve the original document order while you experiment is to compile with the “Enumerated Outline” compile preset, and then import that file back into your project somewhere. I recommend PDF as the output type, so you can’t accidentally edit it. With that as a guide to get things back in your original order and hierarchy, you can then rearrange your binder, knowing that your experiments can be reversed with some effort.