Questions re: export to Epub and word

hi… before purchasing scrivener i have a few questions.

1. i like the index card/cork board feature, but can this be viewed across the full manuscript as well as by chapter?

2. as i’m interested in publishing an ebook, will scrivener for windows export to epub in a near-future version? is there a way to format for epub now? also, i’ve published in print and know editors want the manuscript delivered in a .doc or .docx format… how accurate is the scrivener export to this format? can i expect issues to pop off in translation?

unfortunately technology melts my brain, so i’m forced to ask questions that may sound a bit simple-minded to the tech-savvy. thanks for your time.

I don’t think you can see all index cards in one view. I think you can only see all cards at a folder level (chapters for me) or the cards inside a folder (scenes for me). You can, however see everything in the Outliner View. Unfortunately, the Outliner View looks just like the Binder.

Scrivener produces a fine looking .epub and .mobi ebook. I’m not sure if the .rtf or .doc files it produces can be used as-is for print formatting as I haven’t tried that yet.

The ability to see all of your index cards on one board from a binder selection is not yet in the windows scrivener feature set, but you can add them all to a collection, which does not use a heirarchical view of it’s contents, and then view that in the cork board view.

If you haven’t already, download the fully-functional trial and use it until it runs out. Experiment with the binder structure and the compile feature, the collections, etc… Come here with specific questions about how to accomplish things in Scrivener. Run through the Interactive Tutorial project to familiarize yourself with it’s features (under Help). Give it the entire 30 days of use while you evaluate it, and then buy it if you like. If you don’t like it, compile or export your work and use whatever word processor you prefer on those files.

Just to add to the replies already posted, you can check out the (free) NIAD book we wrote on the forum last October for an example of what the Windows version of Scrivener can do with ebook formatting straight out of the box:
pigfender.com/index.php/2012 … niad-2012/

I’d also add that the MS Word export formats are very good and reliable. I use the .doc compile as my own additional backup system regularly… exporting to a print friendly format that can be read by absolutely any computer.
The compile options are very flexible, allowing you to set things like page margins, fonts and formatting, and all sorts of things. If you have requirements for certain more “advanced” page layout / design functionality, such as section breaks, complex page numbering / restarting of page numbers, you may need to do a little tweaking in Word afterwards… but that’s only somethin you’d need to worry about if you were typesetting a file for printers yourself (frankly more likely to be done in something like InDesign than Word anyway). Scrivener for Windows is more than capable of producing Word documents out of the box which meet the submission requirements of editors, agents and publishers.