Quick question about file size

Hi, I’m a freelance writer and started using Scrivener for all my client files a few months ago.

As time progresses with a client I’m adding more and more resources (mainly PDFs). One of my client files is growing rapidly and has lots of embedded PDF resources, sometimes the file locks up.

Just wondering if there are any limits to file size and any general advice you have about keeping files with a long shelf-live operating.

My apologies if this question has been asked before, I did a search but couldn’t find anything that way.

Thank you

Mel

If you are having one project per client you shouldn’t run into trouble unless you include hundreds of large pdfs, and even then it is mainly the backups that take time.

A good strategy for a project that looks like it is going to bloat rapidly with research material is to adopt the use of links to the original files, stored outside of Scrivener. The File ▸ Import ▸ Research Files as Aliases… command is there to make that process simple. You may even be able to export the PDFs you have imported already, reimport them as links, and then trash the hard copies in Scrivener once they have been verified as safely moved outside of the project. The nice thing about this approach is that you lose nothing with regards to a seamless research experience. With the exception of having to tend to an external file repository, and a little arrow badge on your icons in the binder, the linked resource will be 100% as capable of being a binder citizen as it is right now fully embedded in the project.

Refer to §9.2, Linking to Research Material, pg. 196 of the user manual, for full documentation, as well as a run-down on the pros and cons. And in that section, note footnote (3), which cross-references to scaling limitations in Scrivener.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

I’ve now split my client files into projects but I’ll investigate more on your suggestions Amber, Storing the PDFs externally and linking them into the project.

Mel