Quit, Close, Delete from Trash, PDF resize[BUG LOGGED]

I absolutely adore Scrivener and it’s everything I’ve wanted in a writing program. I just had a few thoughts as I was using it tonight.

I was wondering if a shortcut for the “Quit” option is on the list for things to be done? I was also wondering if we could change the “Close Project” shortcut from Ctrl + F4 to something a little less awkward to press like “Ctrl + W” unless it’s being used for something to be implemented later? The Ctrl + F4 seems more like a Mac thing than a Windows and takes away from the ability to move between projects with ease.

Another thing I noticed was that while you can delete file from the Draft and Research areas with “Delete” you can’t permanently delete from the Trash the same way. I’m thinking it’d be nice if the “Delete” key was also tied to the delete permanently for items in the Trash.

Also, when resizing PDFs for reading, the resize takes you back to the beginning of the PDF instead of staying on the page you were on.

EDIT: Another thing about the PDFs, when the view is smaller than what would fill the whole page, the PDF is left centered instead of centered in the middle of the viewing pane.

Alt+F4 for closing a Window in Windows is standard behaviour, so indeed it would make sense if this was true.

As for being able to use the “Del” key in the “Trash” portion, I heartily agree.

Ctrl-F4 to close a document is totally a Windows thing! It may not be used as much as it once was, but that is how it always used to be. Alt-F4 to close the program; Ctrl-F4 to close the window/document AND Alt-Tab to switch between applications and Ctrl-Tab to switch between windows within a program.

Ctrl-W actually came from the Mac world as far as I know, where it has been Cmd-W to close program windows/documents as long back as I can remember… System 7 at least, in the mid-nineties. I’ve noticed some Windows programs (Office, in particular, and any application that is cross-platform, like Firefox and Chrome) have started using Ctrl-W more frequently lately.

Huh, the things you learn.

I use Alt-Tab and Ctrl-Tab pretty regularly and learned of Alt-F4 only in the past 6 months or so. The Ctrl-W feels so natural it feels like a Windows thing.

Indeed. Shouldn’t work like that, I presume.

I think the control keys have been covered.

I’m going to log the following as bugs:
Also, when resizing PDFs for reading, the resize takes you back to the beginning of the PDF instead of staying on the page you were on.

EDIT: Another thing about the PDFs, when the view is smaller than what would fill the whole page, the PDF is left centered instead of centered in the middle of the viewing pane.

And the DEL key for trash as a new feature we may or may not add. Technically simple, but I’m not sure we want to make it too easy to delete items? I’ll need to think about this, and of course listen to the users.

Lee