Quite a Discovery...

For several years now, I’ve used a package called CopyWrite (from Bartas Technologies) which though has limitations, has served me well over the years.

For a while now I’ve suffered writer’s block. When I learned of NaNoWriMo I thought I’d give it a try and see it might help me in clearing my block. But this is where CopyWrite failed me for the last time. Word count is crucial in NaNoWriMo, and I discovered that CopyWrite counts ‘words’ by counting spaces. As I write with two spaces between sentences, my word count was wildly inaccurate.

Initially I transferred my work to Apple’s Pages, which at least knew how to count words. But then looking around the NaNoWriMo site, I discover a link to Scrivener. I download and launch it, and it scares the crap out of me. To say I found it daunting is an understatement. But as I look into it, I realise just how powerful tool it is. So I’ve transferred my NaNo work into Scrivener (my third WP package and it’s only the first week!). The more I use it, the more I look into it, the more I like it.

And just to make things even better, if I achieve the 50,000 word goal, I can buy it for half price. That’s some incentive. :smiley:

Thanks for checking us out! Scrivener does have some unique concepts up front that take a little assimilation to, but once you get over those initial ideas the core philosophy of the program is quite simple, and one can ignore the bells and whistles and just get down to writing their draft until the time presents itself to learn bits and pieces here and there as they prove helpful.

I used CopyWrite as well way in the past when it was still under active development. I think one thing that will make Scrivener easier for you is that you already probably work in scene/chapter sized bits as that was how CopyWrite was set up to work. One thing I liked about the program was its auto-save + version feature. Scrivener has the same sort of philosophy. Everything you type in is constantly being saved. It’s milestone feature is called Snapshots; so if you are used to putting down anchors in CopyWrite, check out the Documents/Snapshots menu.

Anyway, welcome to the club; and good luck on your NaNo this year. It’s a lot of fun and it good way to get past the block.