Scrivener for Windows 3 RC18
Version 126.96.36.199 Beta (1204128) 64-bit - 17 Feb 2021
running on Windows 10 Home
I frequently name my notes in the scratchpad with special characters. A few releases back I went through the ASCII table in the order of the character value—trying a majority of the special characters in the title of the note to identify which were allowed and their order—and made a note entitled:
! # $ % & + - (PERIOD) (NUMBERS) ; @ (UPPERCASE) ^ _ ` (LOWERCASE) ~
At the time, all these special characters were allowed, and I knew that if I created a new note with a ! as the first character it would far up on my list when I re-opened the scratchpad, and this particular note would always be first in the notes list (unless I were, for some reason, later create a note that began with two exclamation marks.)
And, until RC18 all was well and good. But today, I cannot rename the “untitled note” with a pound sign (#) character in it—yes, I’m a boomer; for you young 'uns, it’s today called a hashtag.
Was that character causing problems and intentionally removed?
Were any others?
Or is this a new bug?
I’m afraid to edit any note that has a special character in the title now.
Some further notes about the characters that were allowed, specifically the capitalized words in parenthesis (apparently parentheses were/are allowed, but since I used them as follows I didn’t explicitly mention them):
- b[/b] The period character
- b[/b] Represents all numbers collectively
- b[/b] Represents all uppercase letters collectively
- b[/b] Represents all lowercase letters collectively
These were all characters that were allowed in the notes title, but I just wanted to reference where they came in the order (collectively) didn’t want write them all out.
The exception was the period character. Even though a period is an allowed character (in that Scrivener didn’t give me any popup dialog complaining about it) if I named a note “This.That”, when I closed the scratchpad and brought it back up “This.That” (which on the filesystem is named “This.That.rtf”) shows up in the notes list as “This”, so I don’t use periods in notes names (and perhaps Scrivener should disallow it as well.)
I suppose, now that this massive missive is composed, I could have spent less time on it by simply moving away from pound signs in my note titles, but when something changes suddenly I need to know if it was a feature or a bug.
EDIT: And now that I’ve posted this, # works!