Reccuring CHKDSK error for scrivener.exe (help!)

I’ve been using scrivener for a number of years on a number of computers, mac and PC, and I’m now faced with a problem I never had before, on one computer only, If I’m not posting this in the right forum, please let me know and redirect.

The problem itself :

I’ve acquired a small hybrid HP laptop recently (with windows 10),
At first, scrivener (windows beta version 3) worked like a charm.
Then, after a month of use, a window message error started appearing, sometimes as soon as I opened it : damaged disk, you have to run CHKDSK.
(I’m translating the error message from French so that’s the gist of it, not the message verbatim).

This error message only occurs with scrivener. And it occurs with all projects, wherever they are stored on the C drive (some are in dropbox, others in my Documents).
Furthermore, it occurs constantly: the message keeps appearing, every few seconds, as long as scrivener is opened.
And only when I use scrivener.

What I did :

I ran CHKDSK, first during a session and after some search online at restart a number of time.
The problem remained.

I defragged. I checked for virii.
The problem remained.

I uninstalled and reinstalled scrivener. I tried the 32 bits version.
The problem remained.

(and yes, I only tried the beta version because I also work from a Mac with it installed and I didn’t want to go through the hassle of downgrading all my projects to the previous version).

I checked the knwoledge base and the forums here. Similar problems have been reported but on a FAT SD card. Reformatting it in NTSF format solved the problem.
My files are on the C drive (NTSF).
If others have reported – and solved – a similar problem, I was unable to find it.

The constant interruption is driving me mad. Not to mention that I worry about the drive and the folders and files integrity.
It means I can’t use scrivener on that laptop and I use scrivener for almost everything. Therefore I can’t use the laptop for now.

In other words : you’re my last hope.

Assuming the laptop is configured as it came from the factory (i.e. the C; drive is the one that originally came in the PC from HP), I would suggest you locate and use HP system diagnostics to give both the drive and the entire PC a thorough checkup. Such a systems diagnostics utility may already be present on the laptop (in BIOS or in Windows) or you may need to download one from HP (may be PC model or family specific). See www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsu … diags.html
If the drive is not the one that came from the factory in the PC, you could additionally determine the drive manaufacturer (run Device Manager via Control Panel or typing “Device Manager” in the Start command (run?) line, expand the Disk drives item to see the make and model of the drive) and download and use their drive diagnostics utility.

I would have the HP diagnostics test everything on the system, not just the drive.

Worst case, if the hardware diagnostics don’t turn up any issues, it might prove necessary to reinstall Windows (reformatting the drive as part of that). Be sure you have the necessary Windows license info ( microsoft.com/en-us/softwar … /windows10 ) and have any critical work material already backed up off the laptop before undertaking.

My guess is that Scrivener itself is not the issue, but rather something that is being revealed by its activity. If that is the case, the good news, is that general rather than Scrivener specific troubleshooting will apply, such that general discussions of CHKDSK related issues and fixes will be relevant (try Google searching on something like “frequent CHKDSK error”) and that experienced PC techs can assist despite having no experience with Scrivener.

I could be wrong.

Hope that is of some assistance.

Thank you!

I’m starting down the line of advice; I’m sure too that the problem isn’t coming from scrivener (that’s why I came here last).

I’ll keep you posted on which solution worked.

Jih.

Problem solved (it seems: 24 hours without error message).

I had a SD card in the laptop. Just removing it removed the probelm I checked and no scriv parameter pointed to it. But once I checked the card on a different computer, I had an error message for that disk.

Jih.