"Recent Projects" does not fill

Having opened multiple files I would presume the “Recent Projects” menu item to be filled. No such thing so far… Empty :open_mouth:

What could be the problem?

I’m using Scrivener 2.1 (14114)
OSX Lion 10.7.2
Macbook Pro 2.16 C2D

Thanks in advance!

Bob

Hi Bob,

The recent projects list is populated based on your OS X options, so most likely you just need to adjust your settings. Open System Preferences then click on Appearance. Toward the bottom, you should see drop-down menus for setting the number of recent items for applications, documents, and servers–make sure that documents isn’t set to “None”. If it is, set it back to the number you want. Once you’ve done that, when you open projects they’ll start to populate the Recent Projects list.

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for the quick reply. Indeed, I disabled this option in the system prefs. Now it works, so thanks!
But wouldn’t it be more userfriendly if this option could be opted for in the program itself? Just like… errr… Word :blush:

Bob

Scrivener abides by standard OS X practice - it’s not standard on OS X for programs to opt in or out separately for this option - that would negate the whole point of the system preference. :slight_smile:

I always thought this option in the sysprefs just referred to the recent items in the apple menu (upper left).
I would actually feel it would be rather handy to be free to make an exception to the rule according to user prefs instead of system prefs. Situations might occur that it is not desirable. It’s like a general speed limit that restricts me from speeding on my own lawn.

Something like that 8)

No, it refers to “Recent Documents/Projects” in programs, too - and it’s actually built-in. If you were to fire up Xcode (Apple’s developer environment) and build a document-based application, this would all be handled for you - there isn’t a single line of code in Scrivener that determines how many items are allowed in the “Recent” menu. Apple have set it up so that programmers don’t have to worry about it; OS X deals with it. Only programs that want to forcibly override the standard behaviour have any code to deal with it, and this, to me, says that it’s a bad idea. :slight_smile:

All the best,
Keith