record function while writing.

Some years ago I did an interview with a German scientiest (B. K. at the German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence (DFKI)) about the business of writing papers.
One thing that really stuck with me is the following piece of transcript:

B. My first collaborations in papers was with some guy who is very smart in collaborating. He was the best co-autor ever. And it was really like, first you know we put some parts together: a general structure. That, that, that, and the other said, lets replace this by that one. So really like: This is my proposal and the other said: I would like to have these changes… Ok. And then he wrote some text. And then he decided in the other section: I don’t understand this and that. What do you want to say? And then, I remember that one day we visited each other and he was exactly doing that: like go through the paper and asking what do you want to say with that, and then he was: typing what I was answering.
O. Yeah.
B. As an introductory. So… I learned a lot from that, because I think, when you write a story, you write it in your own way and then there is some material missing for others to understand. So it is very often that I completed the story, and I think this paper is ready. I give it to the collegae and he reads it, and he is complaining and laughing and saying it is complete shit… And then you work a little with him asking him what is the problem here, what is the problem there, and then, you fill in like five sentences. You know, in some points, usually at the beginning of things, introductory things, and then! It’s ok… So, this is what I learned there…
O. So the idea is then, sort of: you use the narrative of the other explaining what he thinks should be written down… That usually, when you talk, it is easier to comprehend?
B. When you talk… I guess it is more: you see the eyes of the other, so you know… When you talk in a closed room, it would be the same thing, it is more that when you talk… Well… two things… maybe it’s the one is: you can see the other like: Hmm, ahm,mmm :slight_smile:, you got him.
O. Yeah.
B. And the other is like: hrmphh, :frowning:, and then you give some more explanation, go further in his direction to get him where he is.
O. Yeah.
B. And the other is… ahm,
O. So the body language…
B. Yeah, and you know: the other is talking to you ass well. They… he would say: “yes, yeah, yeah… No…” And then you know, ok! If he says ‘no’ you have to do another step towards his… ideas.”
O. Yeah.
B. And the other thing is when you write down a story it is very often… that you don’t… You know, at least in my case… Well in others it is the same! You say “this and that pfrfrfr” there you are… and you say “consequences are so clear, I don’t waste time writing it” and I don’t want to bore people right? But I have the impression that sometimes you really have to say “ok, say this is the fact, and now… think over it a minute”. For the reader? Yeah… And you know I say “well this is the consequence and this the consequence and it might be very obvious but for the reader while reading, it is not so obvious…
O. Because, yeah…
B. And you find this out when you, when you go back to your own story and tell it to somebody or something. It is just a different view of it, you know: by writing is the one view, and you go one meter to the left…
O. Yeah…
B. And change the… mindset and this is because you look in to the eyes of somebody.

My proposal is to add functions that records a conversation (audio, video) when you write collaboratively.
Often there is too much (non verbal) content in a conversation to have the time to yot it down the way the other means it.
Pearnote is a programm for example that allows such functionality. But it does not have the power of scrivener.
Let me know wat you think?

Regards

Onno

New user here … I just dropped by to say that it would be great to have an audio recording function in Scrivener. (Perhaps there is, and I just haven’t found it yet…)

Anyhow, I’m currently doing some of my drafting in Word’s notebook view so that I can say things as they come to mind, but I’d much rather be able to do this within Scrivener.