Recording Project Progression

If you do have a web-accesible subversion repository and the correct modules installed, you can just point a web browser at the correct URL, and get read-only access to everything in the repository. You can even browse the history.

Aside from your stated goal, learning and setting up your own subversion repository, or using free services like SourceForge, will gain you a lot more in the long-run. It gives me peace of mind when I develop, knowing there’s a copy of every iteration of my software on a remote machine, and that I can experiment to my heart’s content knowing I can just wipe out an ill-conceived line of thinking (or preserve it in another branch).

You can not comprehend the number of times snort wishes she could do this the my “ill-conceived” thinking. Too bad you can no use SVN for cars, houses, pets, kitchen… you get the idea.

If only Apple’s implementation of time machine weren’t so limited. sigh

At its most basic, SVN is no more difficult than periodically zipping up your code folder and saving it as a dated file. In fact it’s more economical since it only saves the changes. A simple workflow of committing changes at the end of the day will build up a nice, detailed roadmap of where you’ve been without any fuss, and if you never need to revert that’s all there is to it (granted once you get used to doing so, you’ll probably want to work more in a feature-based commit strategy than a time-based, but “end of day” is a simple example of how it can be effortless). That’s maybe 30 minutes of learning. With a front-end like Cornerstone or Versions, you don’t even need a separate SVN server as they come with one built into the application. Of course, then you are using it less as a remote backup and more as a version tracker. With these tools there is very little to learn and you needn’t even touch the command-line unless you need more advanced features like merging forks. The nice thing about these tool is that they are just front-ends. You can always fall back to the command-line if necessary—or use them in conjunction with more basic tools, like TextMate’s SVN tools, or XCode’s.

Most of SVN’s complexity is there for group management—handling dozens or hundreds of people in a single source tree. Without the group, it’s quite easy to learn.

P.S. I’ve meant to say it before, but thanks for posting all of the lesson guides on the forum, Bob. I hope the lack of comments on them does not discourage you from continuing as I’ve enjoyed reading them.