Recording Writer's Group Feedback

I recently joined a writer’s group to help improve my craft. I read to the group directly from Scrivener and then make notes on the comments I receive in the sections to which they pertain. This is very helpful as I don’t always have time to incorporate changes right away or I am still writing the first draft and don’t want to stop the flow to do revisions. I also have friends on Facebook who read and review my work, so I can incorporate their comments and critiques as well. Scrivener is becoming a virtual editor as I process all the critiques and find similar suggestions from multiple sources (usually a good indication that a change is needed).

I am still learning some of the great ways Scrivener can help me with my writing. Reading the ideas in the forum is a great way to speed up the learning process. Thanks to the Scrivener Team for all the hard work.

Ed

Excellent advice! It’s nice to see some feedback from this kind of “field work”, where one isn’t sitting in front of their computer controlling the flow of everything. Do you use the annotation/comment feature, do you tend to jot down notes as index cards on a corkboard and integrate them later, or something else?

I’ve really grown fond of using the corkboard for notes within the past year or so. They are just so easy to work with, and are quite informative if need be, about meta-data and such. It also helps keep me brief. I tend to ramble on a lot (and take delicious joy in rambling on to myself at levels which should be considered far under the bar for sanity), but the “physical” size of the index card keeps my brain working in pithy mode and moving on to the next idea—sideline tangents as new cards if necessary. I find the freeform corkboard is the best place for this kind of rapid idea collection and note taking, as related cards can be clumped together, etc.

P.S. Just saw you’ve got Windows for your platform tag, so tuck that Freeform corkboard addenda away for later. :slight_smile:

sorry, I haven’t been checking my posts. I just put member comments in the document notes section so I’m not limited on space. I’m using note cards to work on the synopsis as I go along, character outlines and other backstory data, but I’m sure there is much more I can do with them. thanks for the reply.

Ed

I belong to a an online critique group (IWW) and do a similar thing with feedback I get from the group. In my case, I am able to create a folder and drag and drop the emails directly into the project I am working on. Then, when I am ready to edit and revise, I can look at the crits, make notes, and use some in split screen for revision purposes. Brilliant.

Most of my pieces are essays and book reviews, but I can see how using cork board to track changes or make comments in a longer work would be worth while. Thanks for the tip, Amber.