Recovering Files

Hello!

My computer crashed a couple of days ago and I can no longer turn it on. Now that it is dead I am worried for my scrivener files because, even though I know it saves automatically every couple of seconds, my thumb drive only has a file that says Scrivener backups. These are compiled zips that I have tried to comb through and finally today found some of my writing in one. But not nearly all of it. I’m hoping someone knows that scrivener automatically saves somewhere on a mac’s hard drive? I am having my SSD card transferred to a new laptop once it comes in, but does Scrivener save by account at all? For instance, if I redownloaded Scrivener using my license on the new computer will all my data still be on the program and just automatically show up? Kind of like how iCloud works and saves data “in the air”. Or does it save off of the program on the computer hard drive? I can’t seem to find that answer anywhere.

Thank you for your help!!!

Hannah

There is no Scrivener “cloud.” That is, we do not have access to your data, and have no ability to restore it to a new computer. Any backups are entirely your responsibility.

Your projects should be right where you left them once you transfer the disk to a new computer.

1 Like

Scrivener like pretty much every program stores its data separate to the program, usually in a default location or one you may be given the option to select when installing the app. That said, most people simply tab through accepting the defaults even when offered.

If the SSD can be read by the new system, hopefully you can find the .scriv projects, or .zip backup folders if your only found one on the thumb drives. Of course one of the potential issues if you unzipped and opened zip files is that if you had the minimum number of zip backups selected each time you open one Scrivener saves that as another zip, potentially deleting one with the data you need.

I don’t know L&L recommended process, but I always select 25 as the number of zip backups and if I were attempting to recover data would turn off the zip backup feature to prevent the files I’m opening and exploring from potentially overwriting good backups until I found the missing file.

1 Like

Further to the excellent advice already provided, it is good practice (I consider it “essential” practice) to have a backup regime. With Scrivener, turn on backups on open/close and keep 25 copies and Mac use Apple’s TimeMachine to backup to a connected USB device. That’s the bare minimum. Also consider having some sort of process to keep copies of your backups offsite. Lots of articles on the “net” about recommended backup strategies.

1 Like

Awesome! Thank you everyone! I should know later today once my laptop finally arrives in store about what’s left! I’ll definitely be switching to 25 backups as I had no clue it could delete another backup once you unzip one! I appreciate all your help since I’m so new Scrivener! :slight_smile:

Best,
Hannah

Don’t forget to get proper backups of the device setup, e.g. Apple’s TimeMachine which is already installed on your Mac.

1 Like