"Recovery Files"

I noticed a couple of folders in my “documents” that are labeled “[Project Name] Recovery files” or something like that. I never experienced a crash that I know of.
Does anyone know why these files would be there?
Thanks, David

Hi David,

This folder gets added if Scrivener detects files in the project bundle that are not represented in the binder. A .scriv file is really a package of files, along with a binder structure file. When Scrivener opens a project, it loads in the structure and checks that there are no files in the bundle that don’t have an associated document in the binder; if it finds any, it creates document representations for them and places them in a “Recovered Files” folder. The most likely explanation for this happening are:

  1. A crash - which I know you say hasn’t happened, so it’s most likely…

  2. A sync problem, for instance if you save the project on Dropbox or sync it some other way. If sync software tries to sync while a file is open, it often creates a duplicate file to avoid data corruption. This could result in files getting created inside a .scriv package (which sync software will treat as a folder) which would have no representation in the binder. Do the names of these files have suffixes that would indicate something like this - that is, do they have odd names?

All the best,
Keith

I have found my document in a folder in Finder with a label “document name”-1.scriv Recovered. When I open this folder, there are all the scenes that I lost with both text and RTF files. I opened the RTF file and confirmed that it is the latest material that I lost when I was saving…the synch problem outlined in the Q&A is what got me.

Now I need to know how to integrate these “recovered” files into my main manuscript in Scrivener. That manuscript reflects changes as of the last back up, but has lost about 4 hours worth of revision work.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Steph

I haven’t seen this kind of recovery folder before (I’m assuming it’s a new scrivener feature…). But i can still propose a couple of solutions.

First, you’ll want to drag those rtf files into your “main manuscript” project (let’s call it the MMP) binder, preferably right above/below the corresponding documents in the MMP. You may at this point also want to rename them to make it clear which ones are the “recovered” ones.

Next, take a snapshot of the MMP version, just to preserve it before you do the following: Select all text and delete it. Then go to the recovered version and select all of it’s text, copy that, and the paste into the newly empty, MMP document. Take another snapshot (label it “recovered” or somesuch), and then drag the recovered one in your binder to the trash (Scrivener’s trash, not the Mac trash icon).

Now you’ll be able to use the comparison features on the snapshots to be absolutely certain you haven’t obliterated any editing done on the pre-recovery MMP versions of your documents. If all things look good, you’re ready to continue your work.

That’s pretty brilliant! Isn’t the power of Scrivener amazing!