Recursive footnotes

A simple-sounding (and probably fiendishly difficult) feature request:

I’d like to be able to assign footnotes[1] to other footnotes.

… Is this feasible?

[1] This is a footnote; it has a footnote of its very own[3].

[2] This footnote intentionally left blank.

[3] Like this[2].

Hi,

No, this isn’t really feasible given how everything works internally, sorry. I don’t think I’ve even seen this done. Is this supported in Word or RTF?

All the best,
Keith

Faking it is the best I can think of, if the “internal” footnotes used a different enumeration scheme, like [a] instead of [2]—which would probably make things overall less confusing to read anyway—then you could just type all of that into the footnote for [1], and set up some formatting presets to style the reference markers within this footnote.

I don’t know if Word supports it, I do know that Terry Pratchett does it, and I’d like to be able to do it too.

(Had an epic run of footnote-related Scriv crashes on Saturday, BTW – 2.4.1 really didn’t like whatever I was doing when I edited a footnote, and I wasn’t even trying to do this!)

Hi Charlie,

I just checked out your crash reports (and see you got very frustrated!). Very odd; I haven’t had any other reports like this. Is your editor and footnotes pane scaled (i.e. not at 100%)? That might be a factor. It looks as though it was crashing during the live resizing of the footnotes while typing, with an internal Apple layout method used to calculate the new height crashing the app. I’m not sure why, unless it’s being called recursively, but the code checks for that. Can you get it to happen again? Or send me a sample project in which I can reproduce it?

Thanks,
Keith

I can send you a sample project (if you let me know what email address to send the attachment).

I’m recovering from an epic attack of RSI (what I deserve for writing 110,000 words in 18 days) but will try to duplicate the crashes when I pick myself up off the floor.

Hi Charlie,

Great, thanks - you can send the project to kb-tech-support AT literatureandlatte DOT com and I’ll receive it directly. If it’s more than 20MB, instead send it to mac.support AT literatureandlatte DOT com and mark the email for my attention.

Wow, 110,000 words in 18 days - no wonder you have RSI.

All the best,
Keith