Red Annotation Color missing

Hi,

While exploring the coloring of inline annotations, I was looking for the Red Annotation color in the Scrivener palette. I couldn’t find it.

I rebuilt it by using the dropper, but I’m not sure it is the exact mix. And I’m not sure there aren’t other colors missing.

Is there a way to make the full Scrivener palette be reinstalled?

This is what I have, after recreating the Red Annotation swatch:

Paolo

Hi.
I am a Windows user, but if it there is consistency between the two versions of Scrivener, that is not how (inline) annotation’s color are meant to be set.

The idea is rather that you change the font color for an annotation’s text after inserting it.
The box and the text will then be of that color.
Any new annotation will have text and a box of that color, until you repeat the above with a different color.

It only involves the font color.

So basically what I am saying is that if you want your annotations to be of that reddish color, you only need to make one annotation of that specific color, and it should stick – any new annotation will be of that color.

The two versions seem to work the same way, but according to the user manual the Red Annotation color swatch should be in the Scrivener color palette. I can’t find it, and wonder if there are other colors I’m missing from my installation.

Paolo

18.5.1 in the manual ?
. . . . . . . . .

Here is what the manual suggest that you should expect from a fresh install:

So… pretty much what you’ve got.

It is either elsewhere, or non-present. Whichever is intended, or a consequence of the first snip I pasted above.

Well, I find this note, on page 456 of the Mac version of the PDF manual:

Paolo

My guess is that you’re running into how the software will not overwrite your Scrivener.clr file every time you launch, so that you can use it for its intended purpose of customising the names of some of its built-in colours. You’ve likely had this same Scrivener.clr file for years, before the “Red Annotation” swatch was added (along with the default text colour swatches as well, rather than just the one quirky lone green one from the v2 .clr file).

To update the file to the new v3 swatch set, move or delete the ~/Library/Colors/Scrivener.clr file, and relaunch the software. Note that depending on your macOS version, the system colour palette may not recognise swatches added on the fly like that. I believe it may only check on log-in, but you can manually force it to find it by clicking the gear button alongside the swatch group dropdown, using “Open…”, and navigating to the above path, selecting “Scrivener.clr”.

1 Like

@AmberV , it worked! I had to first select a different color collection at the first relaunch, then choose the automatically generated Scrivener set at the second relaunch. Now I have the full set of colors!

Paolo

1 Like