Redefining paragraph styles not working properly

All the documents in my current project were created using a common template simply called “normal”, which has 4 simple paragraph styles. This was set up originally in version 1.9 of Scrivener, then imported into Version 3.0 Beta 10. I also use Scrivener for iOS, and becasue the default fonts I use with Windows don’t exist on my iPad, Scrivener messes up the formatting whenever I open a document from one in the other.
So, I just tried redefining the default template fonts on my PC to Georgia and Arial, since these should be identical on the iPad.
I used the command “Redefine paragraph style from selection” (in the Styles Panel). The formatting updated, but now all the paragraphs in all my existing documents are formatted as “no style” (even though the fonts, etc., are correct. So I would have to reformat everyone before compiling to get a correctly formatted final document.
I previously reported this [url]https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/redefining-paragraph-styles-not-working-properly/42709/1] but just wanted to note that the problem persists and (if anything) seems worse in the current beta, in that every paragraph in every document is now messed up.

Also, I tried to undo this by closing Scrivener and restoring all the files from last night’s backup.zip folder, instructing Windows to overwrite all the existing files (i.e. this morning’s formatting changes), but every paragraph is still formatted as “no style”. This suggests that some piece of formatting information is not stored in the project folder, which is unexpected and slightly worrying. I’d be grateful if anyone can tell me whether or not I can undo the damage I’ve caused.

The thing about styles in Scrivener is that “No Style”, which is set in the appropriate pane of the Options or in Project > Project Preferences, is the “Normal” style, and styles should only be set up for paragraphs and elements that differ from that. If you set up a specific “Normal” style, you are going to make setting up Compile much more complex.

I can’t speak for Windows or even compiling for Word, as I’m on a Mac and use Nisus Writer Pro as my word processor of choice, but for me, anything that is “No Style” in Scrivener comes out as “Normal” in NWP.

:slight_smile:

Mark

Interesting, but totally counter-intuitive (at least, to a recovering Word user). Could someone from the developer team confirm this?

Could you try renaming your project directory (say, from Project.scrivx to Project.scrivx.backup1), creating a new directory (say, Project.scrivx), and restoring the old backup into the new (completely empty) directory? I think this might work. If it doesn’t, something is more deeply wrong.

After looking at the way Scrivener now handles styles:

Style information is contained in a connected set of files and links (from <$Scr_Ps::0> and its kin in Content.rtf, to the content.styles doc, which references the styles.xml doc, which gives the RTF definitions of those styles).

All that style info is (I believe) in the project.scrivx folder (just to relieve the one program worry you had) (with possibly one exception: I think “No Style” is defined Scrivener wide, across projects, so it’s likely stored somewhere else (in the program directory, I think, but I’m not entirely sure).

Content.rtf files contain the (rtf) text and formatting information, including tags like <$Scr_Ps::0>, which reference a style. I believe the “0” on the end means use the 0th entry in content.styles, but I’m not entirely sure (there’s only one entry in that file in the doc I looked at). And styles.xml has the style definitions in it, referenced by the string(s) in content.styles.

It’s all in there, except “no style.”

Your original post noted that you set up your styles in version 1.9. Version one did not have proper styles, but rather had “presets” that applied the font and paragraph settings to text, but did not actually mark the text as belonging to the “my fancy style” style. Those presets were no different from manually changing the font, font size, text color, paragraph indent, line spacing, etc.

You can use “find by formatting” to somewhat quickly find text to then apply your v3 styles to. I suggest doing something different with your styles (coloring the text, perhaps), so you know at a glance if the style has been applied, or if you just have the font and paragraph settings from version 1. When you’re done applying your styles, adjust a passage’s font/paragraph the way you want the end result to look, and then redefine the style from a selection of that text to apply it to the whole project.

I would assume that “No Style” isn’t defined at all… it literally means “this part of the text has no styles applied to it,” not “this text has the ‘No Style’ style applied to it”. Try adjusting a word by setting the font to be bigger and underlined… it’ll still show “No Style” in the styles drop-down list in the header, even though all the “No Styled” text around it is different. I do believe though, that if you apply a style to that text, and then go back to “No Style”, the text will revert to the default formatting for Scrivener (or just your project)…

You can set up the default text formatting in File->Options->Editing->Formatting, or for a project-specific default text formatting setup, Project->Project Settings->Formatting. Either of these settings affects newly created documents, and I think it dictates how “No Style” text is formatted when you use the Documents->Convert->Text to Default Formatting menu.

Finally, as for there being no “Normal” style, I think what the developer was getting at with that decision is that you never have to worry about forgetting to style missing a single paragraph out of a 200k-word novel; unless you decided to call out a paragraph as a block quote (to mark it as a hand-written letter within the novel), the assumption is that Scrivener should apply the destination format’s default styling to that text (especially important for outputs that don’t have a styles system.

Note that if you do create a “Normal” style, I think that style will be carried through to your output if applicable, so be sure it’s spelled exactly like the style name in the destination app where you’ll open your compiled output. If you don’t make sure of that, you may have Word’s “normal” style and then your text’s " Normal" style to deal with. If the output format doesn’t have styles, then the compile settings will just drop the style…