References

Hi all,

I’m writing a report for a University final year project. My report (will) consist of a large number references, and I must cite them using the Harvard referencing system.

Is there any way for Scrivener to compile a bibliography or dump my references to a csv or something similar to show the time and date I’ve added them, etc.?

Apologies if this has been asked before.

Thanks in advance.

Gaurav

You need reference management software to store the references and manage their output in the Harvard style. The two RM applications most often cited on this forum are Bookends and Endnote. My experience is entirely with Endnote.

Several websites offer Harvard styles to place in the Endnote Styles folder.
The U of Queensland, for example:
library.uq.edu.au/endnote/styles.html

After you’ve set up Endnote and entered data (easily downloaded from public sites), you select a reference and in Scrivener place a temporary citation. After exporting to Word or Pages, you scan the file to create footnotes and bibliography (you need plug-ins for the word processor apps).

This question comes up often; search under Bookends, Endnote, footnotes, and bibliography. The Help and FAQ files have some information, too.

Thank you for the prompt reply, druid.

I think I will just end up maintaining and recording references manually; I’m a broke student, there’s no way I’m paying for software to do this!

I just hoped the references function in Scrivener was a little more apt.

How about LaTeX and BibTex ? It’s free, but the learning curve is a bit steep. Markdown might make it easier, but I could not wrap my head around referencing with Markdown.

zotero is a free add on to Firefox and does what you need.

Also worth checking whether your Uni offers Endnote free for staff/students - ours does

BibDesk is also free, and seems nice. At the moment, I’m using it with Nisus Writer, but I don’t know if I’m using it in the right way.

Basically, I set up a template that allows me to copy the BibDesk entry, and paste into Nisus the final short citation (for example, [Smith, 2004]). When done with the paper, I export the full bibliography references from a BibDesk group/folder corresponding to the document I’m working on, and load it as an RTF formatted file to be inserted at the end of my Nisus document.

No automatic generation, but it seems to work for shorter texts.

Paolo

to @druid:
“after you’ve set up Endnote and entered data (easily downloaded from public sites), you select a reference and in Scrivener place a temporary citation. After exporting to Word or Pages, you scan the file to create footnotes and bibliography (you need plug-ins for the word processor apps).”

How can I do that? I don’t know how to scan the document on Pages09 in order to recognize the references and make the bibliography. Could you help me? where are this plugins?

cheers!