Referencing multiple text parts to a unique footnote

Hi,

I’m looking for a way to reference multiple sections of texts to the same footnote. For instance if I have “text 1” refering to “footnote 1”, I’d like to be able to also have “text 2” refering to the same “footnote 1”.
Is this possible? How should I proceed?

Also I haven’t checked how it works when exported but if I have “text 1” at multiple parts of my document and each time it is linked to the exact same “footnote 1” will Scrivener consider it is the same and use the same reference number or will it duplicate it? (I hope it keeps only one footnote in this case :confused: )

I’ve made a search on the technical and on the hint and tips forum but I couldn’t find the info. Sorry if I missed it.
Thanks in advance for the help! :smiley:

Just pushing the subject as I’d really like to get a feedback on that.
I’m not sure why there was no answer, maybe I wasn’t clear enough?

So here is an example using text found on wikipedia for the sake of illustrating what I want:

Scrivener (1) is a word-processing program designed for writers. Scrivener (1) provides a management system for documents, notes and metadata. This allows the user to keep track of notes, concepts, research and whole documents for reference (documents including text, images, PDF, audio, video, web pages, etc.). After writing a piece of text the user may export it to a fully-fledged word processor for formatting.”
b:[/b] Scrivener was created by Keith Blount and can be found at literatureandlatte.com

In that case I’d like my footnote to be the same for two different occurences of the same word Scrivener with a number for the footnote that is not incremented (ie I don’t have (1) and (2) but only (1) since the footnote text doesn’t change

Second example with another extract from Wikipedia:

“A scrivener (1) (or scribe (1)) was traditionally a person who could read and write. This usually indicated secretarial and administrative duties such as dictation and keeping business, judicial, and history records for kings, nobles, temples, and cities. Scriveners later developed into public servants, accountants, lawyers and petition writers, etc. A scrivener is also a hot African soup made from the lips of cattle.”
b: [/b]Scrivener and Scribe are two different words to name a person who can read and write.

In this case I have two different texts “Scrivener” and “Scribe” still I’d like those to refer to the same unique footnote (1)

Thanks for the help

The post has been read a few times but still no answer. Nobody has any clue?
Am I not clear? :confused:
Any help would be greatly appreciated. :cry:
Thanks!

Sorry, I keep starting an answer and then for one reason or another never finishing because the answer is short and not so sweet. Basically just: no. :slight_smile: There is no way to that, you would need to use a word processor to finish off this level of formatting precision. I could be wrong, but I don’t think RTF itself supports this. With it, footnotes are all inline and marked in the position they occur without any identification—so in other words no way for a secondary piece of text to refer back to it. It is just, like bold or italic, and temporary change in the formatting stream.

Thanks for the answer AmberV. That’s a pity but I’ll try to work around that. :frowning:

I have a bonus question, would you happen to know if it’s possible to get the notes to appear twice, both as footnotes and as endnotes?
I’ve checked in Word but couldn’t see how to do it.
I was thinking of possibly using the “comments” option and duplicating all my “footnotes” into “comments” but I’m not sure there is an easy automated way to do it. On top of that I wonder if the comments are only internal to scrivener or if they get exported when compiling?

You might want to take a look at Mellel

redlers.com/

I believe it handles multiple footnote streams, but I’ve no idea how it works. There is a demo you can download.

Cheers, Martin.

You have options when you compile; comments can be included or excluded at your discretion, and you can make distinctions between inline annotations and inspector comments. You can also choose to export comments as footnotes or endnotes.

Thanks for both answers.
I actually have Mellel, it was part of a deal I bought recently (along with Bookends and Toast). I must admit I have not very much looked into it yet.
I’ll see if I can do something with it.
Thanks again!

Mellel has cross-references, so you can certainly have the same footnote number more than once. The first time, just insert a footnote as normal. For subsequent references to the same footnote, insert a cross-reference to the footnote, and format the cross-reference to look the same as your footnote marker.
The footnote is actually attached to the text wherever it was first inserted, of course, so if the cross-references and the actual footnote marker are on different pages, the footnote will stay at the bottom of the page containing the actual footnote marker.

A hint on getting this to work: footnotes are not themselves targets for cross-references, so you can do this by putting a bookmark in the footnote, then cross-referring to the bookmark and choosing ‘Note symbol’ in the ‘Elements’ dropdown in the cross-reference dialogue. I hope that makes sense: feel free to ask for more detailed instructions.