Referencing other parts of a document

I want to start off by saying that I love Scrivener, even though I’ve only been using it for a few days.

One thing that I’m missing from LaTeX is \label{key} and \pageref{key} — basically, in LaTeX, I could put a \label{key} somewhere in my document, say at the beginning of an important argument, and then refer to the page on which that label was left by putting \pageref{key} somewhere else. When the document was compiled, the \pageref{key} would be turned into the numeral of the page on which the \label{key} was left, and the \label{key} would not appear at all in the final rendered paper.

I’m sure it must be possible to implement something like this, although I don’t know how difficult it would be.

I’ve noticed that there are certain variables and codes that are interpreted when a Scrivener document is compiled, e.g. <$t>. It would be nice to have an exhaustive list of all the special codes and variables and what it is they do.

Thanks again—your software is wonderful!

Help > Placeholder Tags List

Martin

Hi Martin, I don’t think that is what was meant. I think he meant named references that you can hve in latex, which are a handy feature.

I would like to also suggest this, as I am nearly at the end of my thesis and have hundreds of cross references needed.

What I really want is to “drop an anchor” at a point in text, and have it remember the state of the <$HN> at that point by reference to a name.

So I could go <$anchor:OpDefConceptualModelling:hn:def> and everywhere after use expressions like “as we saw in section <$anchor:OpDefConceptualModelling>, …”. Before it is defined I would like to be able to saw “we shall see in section <$anchor:OpDefConceptualModelling> that…”

Currently I use a system suggested by someone (can’t remember who) on the Scrivener forum. I have a kind of macros table up the front, looking like
2.XXX {OpDefConceptualModelling}
2.XXX {OpDefFramework}
2.XXX {OpDefTwoKindsOfArtefacts}

And I place the “{OpDefConceptualModelling}” string at the place referred to, and then after compiling to word, I find the appropriate place to identify the value that the compile gave to <$HN>.

This is what I would love for Scrivener to do for me. If it can be already done with the tags, I would be very grateful to get a pointer to how it can be done. I think I searched for it in manual and on forum quite carefully before writing this.

I know Scrivener was written for creative, not academic writing, it’s just that this is the kind of thing that is normal for long academic text.

I was just responding to the observation that “it would be nice if there was a list …” by pointing out that in fact there is a list of placeholder tags. Not everyone finds it easily.

I’m just another user, so the rest is out of my sphere – the more so given that (despite being an academic) I have absolutely no need of the things you mention as being “normal” for a long academic text: it depends on one’s field. Mine doesn’t require them.

Best, Martin.