Refering to the page a figure/table is printed on

Hi there,

I’am about to start writing on my dissertation and kind of fear using Word for it’s unreliability (it caused several headaches during my master thesis). Anyway - I have been reading about Scrivener and love a lot about it. I was able to answer most auf the questions I had by myself, using YouTube, Google and this Forum. However, one question remains:

I really like the way Scrivener handles referring to figures and tables. It seems way more reliable than Word – how I hate(d) “Error. Reference not found”. In my text, though, I like to refer to a specific figure or table not only by their respcetive number, but also to refer to the page they are actually printed on. Example: There is figure 1 which turns out to be printed on page 7. On page 15 I’m actually referring to figure 1 again. Instead of getting something like “see fig. 1” by using “see fig. <$n:figure:myFigure>” I’d like to be able to get something like “see fig. 1 on page 7” - is there a placeholder for the page that has myFigure on it?

Thank you in advance!

I don’t have the direct answer to your question, but…

1. What you can do will depend on what file format you will eventually be compiling your dissertation to. For example, you may be compiling to Word in order to submit your dissertation, so then the question will be whether there is a way to set up Scrivener to “hand off” that job to Word — because in that case, Word is in charge ultimately of the pagination.

2. What you want is that the reader can easily navigate to the figure mentioned. Tacking on a page number is one way. But you might want to consider a more navigationally apt numbering system for your figures — one that would include the chapter/section number as well as a sequence number. Assuming you will have running heads in your final output which show chapter/section, doing so would obviate the need to tack on a page number when you reference a figure. This would be cleaner, if it does the job.

1 Like

Would also eliminate future/potential issues if ever published to a different format. Or page size, ever so slightly.
(Say an editor decides to work a bit on your handout version that has that reference now in hard print? As in “no longer modifiable by whatever code you are thinking of to make it possible”.)

I personally would definitely opt for @gr’s suggestion in point 2.