Registration Problems on PPC

Computer Specs:
Apple PB G4, 15", 1.67GHz
OS 10.4.11

While registering Scrivener (v1.54) and following the instruction’s suggestions, I copy and pasted both my Name and my Serial Number. My name pasted as expected, but the Serial Number double-pasted resulting in a failed registration. See below.

Correct Serial Number: prefix-AAAA-BBBB-CCCC-DDDD-EEEE
Copied and Pasted: prefix-AAAA-BBBB-CCCC-DDDD-EEEEscriven000-AAAA-BBBB-CCCC-DDDD-EEEE

Since the window for the registration is about the same width as the correct SN, what I kept seeing was only the latter end of the pasted SN, which looked correct. I cleared the SN box and re-copied and re-pasted several times with the same results. I eventually caught the error and registered successfully.

Hi,

Did you us the keyboard shortcut command-V? The only explanation I can think of is that you held down cmd-V for a second longer than usual. :slight_smile: Sorry to give such an obvious answer, but the text fields in the registration sheet are just regular OS X text field controls, and the pasting into them is handled at the OS level (not by Scrivener). So, assuming there was only one copy of the serial number on the pasteboard, the only way the serial number could have been pasted in twice is if you did actually paste twice.

Glad you worked it out and got it working, though - and many thanks for buying. Welcome to the forums!

All the best,
Keith

Keith,

Thanks for your reply. I am now sorry for bothering you with this issue. I need to remember not to post late in the evening, as morning often brings fresh insight.

Yes, I did use the cmd-v short cut. It was also apparent, after a good night’s sleep that it was not likely Scrinener’s issue, but some idiosyncrasy with my computer. This morning I am still able to duplicate, occasionally, the double entry, BUT, and interestingly, only copying the SN in your email. I cannot duplicate this behavior with any other text and never had this issue before. Strange, but I am ready to move on.

Cheers - Jeff

Hi Jeff,

No need to apologise at all! It is rather strange that it’s only happening in Scriv’s text field with the serial number (it’s almost as if it’s sticking), but unfortunately I no longer have a PPC machine to try it out on (my iBook went missing when I moved house last year, much to my great regret).

Thanks and all the best,
Keith