Relocate Project Files and Mirror to Google Drive

I have discovered, to my chagrin, that Scrivener is still saving in the Dropbox Folder. /Users/neilolonoff/Dropbox/Apps/Scrivener/PROJECTNAME.scriv.
But I haven’t used Dropbox in quite a while. I just downloaded a new version of Google Drive, and want to set up mirroring between Scrivener files and Google drive. I’d like to 1) change the location of my files, and 2) get Google Drive to mirror them. They are being backed up correctly in /Users/neilolonoff/Library/Application Support/Scrivener/Backups/.
I’m on a MacBook running Catalina 10.15.7.

Don’t. You can thank me later.

I assume you are referring to mirroring to Google Drive? But what about relocating out of the Dropbox folder?

Yes, I was referring to Google Drive. Please don’t.

If you just want to get rid of the local Dropbox folder, close Scrivener, then move your projects using the Finder to somewhere else ("/Users/neilolonoff/Scrivener"?) and you’re good to go.

Not sure I understand the problem, to be honest. Open the project, then save it into the location you want (instead of Dropbox). Or what am I missing?

As for Google Drive: L&L explicitly warn not to use Google Drive since it may damage your project: Google Drive Advisory / Cloud Syncing / Knowledge Base - Literature and Latte Support

1 Like

Okay - thanks for both. I thought I had to do something in preferences beyond a simple “Save As,” to change permanent location of basic project files.

1 Like

when I move the files using finder, will Scrivener know to find them in the new location, or will I have to direct it to that place?

Scrivener will “remember” the wrong location for the last “Recent Projects”. Either open them directly from the new directory (double-click) or within Scrivener’s “Open…” dialog. Next time the list will be up to date again.

Add: The reason I suggest this method is that “Save as…” creates a copy of the currently open project. Which leads to confusion.

If you move it to a new folder, just double-click on the project in the Finder once you’ve moved it. That will open it in Scrivener and add its new location to the list of recently opened documents. In general, you should be aware of the location of your projects when browsing your hard drive using the Finder, as there is a limit to how many recent Scrivener projects are listed, and sometimes upgrades clear out that list.