Remove First Paragraph Indent

I knew how to remove the first paragraph indent. The problem I have is that my first paragraph is NOT my first paragraph that S3 sees.

Example:

[b]One
Chapter Line Graphic

Location and Time

FIRST PARAGRAPH IS here.

Second paragraph and so on.[/b]

I need the actual first paragraph to have NO indent.

The additional problem is that I must manually make the first three words caps because my first paragraph is not seen as the first paragraph so the Location and Time is turned into caps.

There should be a way to declare which is the first paragraph for each scene.

One of many, many annoying things about S3. The compiler needs a lot of work. It is hardly intuitive folks. Love your program but seriously, did you get user groups to try this out first? I am still going to be dependent on third party formatting solutions like Word (grr) and Calibre. Sorry to rant but I am SO frustrated.

It sounds like you’ve got the whole text in one document. That won’t work for what you want to do.

Instead, put the location and time in the text of a Chapter folder, and the rest of the text (starting w ith the first paragraph) into the first scene as a child document of the chapter folder, making sure to give it a different section type. This means you can tell the compiler not to indent the first para of the first ‘scene’ section type - which it sounds like you already know how to do.

Then tell the compiler not to indent the first para of the ‘chapter’ section type as well and you’re good to go.

Once you’ve got the binder structure right it should be straightforward, but please ask if you need to.

BTW, if you haven’t already, you’ll find the tutorial and the V2 to V3 conversion guide very useful in explaining the logic behind the new compilation process.

HTH

Lovely, thank you again Brookter. Fixed.

Tried the tutorial and read the user manual. I have spent hours working the compiler. Why it is not WYSIWYG baffles me. Instead, you manipulate by three methods (Project Settings, Compiler, and Edit Format (by right-clicking on My Projects in the compiler). Seriously that is messed up. Options are varied and spread out across far too many tabs and submenus.I would strongly suggest Scrivener have a long look at how they are “enabling” writers to have more control over how they compile their works. Other programs out there are much more “friendly” and can produce similar and much easier results. The Scrivener 3 compiler is only a step up from Windows 3.1.

Good thing I love Scrivener. The compiler has me gnashing my teeth in frustration and I suspect I am not alone in this.

It appears I reported your post as spam, Brookter. I mashed what I thought was a “Reply to Post” - it was Report Post. lol. Sorry.

Glad it worked.

But I really do think you’re overstating the difficulty of this, or why the program works the way it works. It may help to think of it this way:

In the Editor you concentrate purely on the content: the structure and the words.

Structure: you break the document down to manageable ‘chunks’, then you decide what each chunk is for, by giving it a Section Type. This chunk will be a Chapter, this one will be a Scene, this one will be an Appendix. ie at this stage you’re concentrating on what the project is going to say and how it’s going to say it.

When you come to Compilation though, it’s time to concentrate on what the final version will look like — but that can differ enormously depending on whether you want to produce an ebook, a manuscript for the editor, a PDF, a paperback, a Word document, plain text and so on. Or publisher A demands the text in Palatino 10pt and publisher B in red Comic Sans etc

The point is that in Word and other word processors, when you want to choose a different output, you have to amend the actual content itself to get the different look the format expects. In Scrivener you never have to amend the structure and content to change the output: you’ve decided what you want to say and how you want to say it and you don’t need to change that. (Ulysses can do some of this, but I don’t know of any other program which combines advanced writing tools — Scrivener is best in class for this anyway — with such powerful compilation tools).

Instead, you use Compilation to say how you want this particular output to look.

a) You choose the Compile to setting (Word etc).
b) You choose the Format (eg Manuscript)
c) You look through a list of representations of built-in Section Layouts and allocate one to each of the Section Types in the project: I want Chapters to look like this.
d) You compile the document.

There are a lot of predefined layouts provided and there’s a fair chance that the output will be right for your needs. If it isn’t, it’s only then that you need to edit the formats to tweak the settings or create new ones. Once you’ve done the tweaking to your satisfaction, you save it as a format and you won’t have to think about it again — you’ll just choose you saved format at step b) next time.

Going back to your original question and how I thought about what needed to be done. The ‘real’ structure of your document was:

a) Chapter Heading (Title etc)
b) Intro text
c) Text as another

You initially tried b) and c) in one chunk (with its own Section Type) but this was treating the Intro Text as the first line of the section. So the question was — how can we make the first line of the scene text into the first line of a section. Once you see the question as this, the answer is obvious — make the scene text into its own section.

So all we needed to do was move b) into a) (ie put the intro into the text of the Chapter). This made the first line of c) the first line of the real text in a section type of its own — which you could then choose an appropriate format for, simply by choosing the right predefined Section Layout.

This is actually an easier and more widely-applicable solution than your suggestion (specifically marking a paragraph as the first one), because you only have to do it once per section type, instead of individually marking each applicable paragraph in the project.

Once this method (work out what section types your structure needs, then apply suitable formats) is understood, it’s fairly easy to apply almost any format to produce a huge range of different output documents from the same content.

So the basics are very simple: tell Scrivener what you want to say and how you want it to be structured in the Editor, tell it what you want it to look like in Compilation — once you’ve done it a couple of times it becomes second nature. But this two-step process is what makes Scrivener so powerful and so flexible for such a wide range of writers. Without it, Scrivener simply wouldn’t be so capable.

It does take a bit of getting used to at first, because it is different. Sorry for the length of this post, but I hope it explains a little of why Scrivener works the way it does, and what benefits and flexibility it brings.