Removing annotations from word count

Forgive me if I’m missing something obvious, but I can’t find a way of getting a word count in ‘Edit scrivenings’ which excludes annotations. This is particularly relevant to me at the moment in clocking up my NaNoWriMo contribution. I have to export my draft, excluding annotations, and then open the file in another application to get the word count. It would be much better to be able to access the word count as I go along.

Thanks again for a brilliant program.

There is no a way to exclude annotations (or footnotes for that matter) from Document Statistics (I am not sure why that is, actually – it probably has to do with performance), which is what Edit Scrivenings is using. However, Project Statistics allows you to toggle counting these on and off. You can also tell it to only count documents that are set up to export. This way, you can freely mix your notes in with your draft without worrying about it effecting the word count.

If you are trying to get your word count for the day, and not the whole project, then that might require a little two-step thing. I’d create a blank document for the purpose of counting straight words, then in your Edit Scrivenings session, select all, and use the Copy Without Annotations or Footnotes feature in the Edit menu (Cmd-Opt-Shift-C). Paste this into your blank “counting” document, and note the word count in the footer.

Many thanks. The project statistics route will work for me. It would be good if there was a way of bringing them up with a keystroke, rather than just via the menu.

You could use Apple’s System Preference for this. Go to Keyboards and Mice and then click on the “Keyboard Shortcuts” tab.

Absolutely brilliant! Thank you. After all these years on Macs, I didn’t realise you could do this :unamused:

I use this feature all the time. Be aware, however, that occasionally, for reasons I have yet to fathom, these assigned shortcuts can disappear. Usually it’s happened after messing around in that part of the preferences or once when I had another program I was working with that worked with services and shortcuts (that one was logical).

I only say this to bring it to your attention that on a rare occasion, you might lose a shortcut you assign, and you simply have to go back in and redo it.

If anyone has any sensible suggestions for keyboard shortcuts for the statistics menu items, I will add them, by all means. The only reason there are no shortcuts at the moment is that most sensible shortcuts are taken up by more frequently used menu items, and I deemed the statistics menu items as something you would only use “occasionally” - I guess NaNo might be an exception. So, like I say, make a suggestion. :slight_smile: Most likely it will have to be a four-key combination…
All the best,
Keith

If anyone has any sensible suggestions for keyboard shortcuts for the statistics menu items, I will add them, by all means. The only reason there are no shortcuts at the moment is that most sensible shortcuts are taken up by more frequently used menu items, and I deemed the statistics menu items as something you would only use “occasionally” - I guess NaNo might be an exception. So, like I say, make a suggestion. :slight_smile: Most likely it will have to be a four-key combination…
All the best,
Keith

I’m using alt/cmnd/s, but I agree with you that it’s probably nothing like as important outside something like nanowrimo. By the way, I’m now up to 14,787 words. :smiley:

I haven’t had a chance to use Scrivener in a large scale writing project yet, how is it feeling under pressure? And congrats on the solid word count progress!

It’s working really well. I’m pretty new to Scrivener and have only used it for a few small writing exercises up to now. Now I can appreciate more of its features, especially being able to access all the information in the binder - keeping track of people and places, for example. I seem to vary my use of the full screen mode. It’s good when I am on a roll and the words are flowing freely. I seem to go back to the standard view when things aren’t flowing so well - or maybe they don’t flow so well because I do go back to the standard view - more distractions! btw, I just managed to hit 17,500 words tonight, so am feeling very pleased with myself :laughing:

I just posted an answer in the FAQ regarding word count tricks. I came across a new method that is even better than stripping annotations and footnotes out. It is dynamic, does not touch the source text, and can distinguish between footnotes and annotations. Currently, the FAQ number is 10.