removing page-break auto-generated Table of Contents entry

In order to control the Table of Contents entries, I realize I can make my own custom TOC with Scrivener Links and and assign that page as the TOC picked up by most eReaders. I just want to make sure that is my best / only option. Should I just stick with my own custom-made TOC ?

The snag I ran into (using the auto-Generated Table of Contents (TOC) feature, was that every time I insert a page break, it auto-generates a new item in the TOC. I’ve looked, and searched this forum, but can’t find any way to issue such a command. Is there a way?

I’m using Scrivener to compose/format flowable children’s ebooks .epub and .mobi I simulate fixed layout by making sure that the images are small enough, and the text per page short enough, followed by a page break. So as long as the reader isn’t using giant fonts, it works very well in most readers, which of course decreases the giant cost of fixed layout epubs and increases the reachable ereader audience. I make each one of my front or back matter their own document in scrivener, then make 20-45 page story also its own document. Problem is, it makes the autogenerated TOC have 20-45 different entries.

Do you think I am I better off just making each page its own document, and stiching together at compile?

Yes, this is precisely the sort of situation where creating a hand-crafted ToC is the way to go. Machines can only be so “smart” when they try to automate work for you. They have to make certain assumptions, and in this case the assumption works against what you are using as a formatting tool instead of its typical usage as a sectioning tool. Moving each “page” into its own section in the Binder won’t solve your problem, it will just move it to another spot, as what the compiler is set up to do is insert section breaks into your work for you based on the outline structure.

Thanks Amber. Got any ideas on why I cannot get my custom made TOC to replace the auto-generated Table of Contents? I better post this as a separate topic, but that’s the challenge. I’ve followed what appears to be the advice for doing this, but I must be missing a key step. I keep generating new pages, but I can’t seem to figure out why my new TOC wont’ take over as the default. Any ideas? - kent

All you should need to do is call the ToC file “Contents”. The specific name you use is up to you though. You can set what Scrivener looks for in the Layout compile option pane.

Well, I keep trying this, and I am using “Contents” as the document title, and that is what the layout option is looking for. The document is appearing in the compile, of course. But when I’m on the iPad previewing the new ‘compile’ when I hit the TOC icon it still takes me to the auto-generated ePub version (with an entry for every line-breaked page in the whole thing). I’ve gone through this 5-6 times now and can’t figure why I can’t get my custom TOC recognized as the default for the TOC icon in epub. Any other guesses on what I could be missing? Sure thanks for all your help. -kent

Okay, the software you are using to read the ePub on the iPad must be using the NCX instead of the HTML ToC. We can’t really use the HTML or custom ToC to make this because it needs to list all of the sections, and since you are using sections as a formatting tool instead of as sections, that will pose problems with software that uses literal sections to mean just that. As far as I know, this is just how the ePub format is designed. You could perhaps modify the NCX ToC using Sigil, that would be the direction I’d look toward for this kind of adjustment.

ok thanks Amber. I can understand what’s (not) happening now. Sounds like what Im trying is a bit of a niche effort. I’m happy to download this program and give it a whirl. Last piece of the thread, I promise :slight_smile: Do you have any suggested steps (or a resource to point me toward) that will help me discover what I’m looking for? Will I be looking for a style sheet and asking it to look at HTML instead of NCX or something? BTW, I’m just viewing the preview drafts on in the Ipad in Ibooks. so its whatever their default is.

Are you intending to only sell your book via Apple? If so it might be a better idea to use iBooks Author for the final composition. Since the works created with it can only be sold to iBooks users, the wild variances in screen sizes are minimised down to a small handful, and full screen layout is something you can actually do, rather than approximate.

But if you are looking for a broader audience, here are some tips for using Sigil to create/edit the ToC. As you will discover, publishing e-books is still a somewhat technical field as it is still very young. Scrivener gives you a huge leg-up, and I’d say its compile feature is “good enough” for many books like novels and non-fiction, but crafting an e-book that falls outside of the box is still, I would say, going to require a little HTML and ePub knowledge.