Removing Self Designed Conventions From a Compile

I had difficulty naming this thread, allow me to explain my need:

I have created my own conventions throughout a novel. I use these conventions to call them up (search for) and create a collection(s) on demand. For example: I have created the conventions SD and ID for Standard Dialogue and Interior Dialogue. Important NOTE: The asterisks are actually part of each convention. Each convention is further highlighted with a different color for better clarity when viewing a text file on screen.

My question (need) is this: When compiling, what would be the location within compiling to type data for removing the highlighted conventions from the chosen compile output? I do not wish to add a space or return or anything for that matter. I simply want the convention removed.

Also, what would be the [removal data] or [code] that I should type in?

The “Replacements” section of compile is the best place to strip out the markup you’ve added to your text. The bad news is that, as far as I know, there aren’t any wildcards to look for * + anything in between + *.

So you’ll have to enter a new line for every code in the “Replace” column, leaving the “With” column blank. Hopefully, there aren’t too many of them.

Another approach is to prefix each type of dialogue with an Inline Annotation (not an Inspector Comment) containing the code. e.g…

You can set compilation to ignore Inline Annotations, so they won’t be printed out if you don’t want them to be - make sure you don’t leave a space outside the annotation though.

You can also use Find by Formatting to search the document quickly for any colour of annotation.

I’m not using the * as a wildcard. Does that matter relative to your reply? I probably should have use a question mark or something other than an *. I forgot about the wildcard aspect of the *. Let me know.

I need to study this reply. Will I be able to pull up every location - in the entire novel - that has a prefixed Inline Annotation? I also do not know how to create an inline annotation. I’ll have to study that also.

You add Inline Annotations with ctl-shift-a. Basically they’re just coloured bubbled text inline with the text and they’re designed to do this sort of thing.

Find by formatting (ctl-f3, I think) lets you search through the entire document for a combination of text and specific formatting. Ctl-shift-3 (again,I think) will take you to the next occurrence.

If once you’ve finished, you want to delete them all quickly, you can convert them all to Inspector comments (somewhere on the format menu - sorry, I’m typing this from memoryj and delete them all at once.

Have a look in the manual for both features - they’re simple to use once you understand what they can do.

HTH

But you are using them to separate your markup from the rest of the text, and you want to remove the *'s and the stuff in between during compile, if I understand your request correctly. So in the replacements tab, you enter this in the Replace field:
SD
…and leave the “With” column blank.

During compile the output would be stripped of every instance of SD, leaving the surrounding text.

I think that will be your fastest way to strip out those text strings, unless you have a large number of them.

Thank you so much for your suggestions and instructions. I am anxious to get at this. I have thoroughly enjoyed the unlimited dynamics of Scrivener over the past three years.

The good thing is - that I am now in the [pre-final draft] edit and am only at chapter 2 of the novel. Therefore I don’t have too many to go back and change into whatever method I choose from the suggestions and instruction of this thread. I’m very glad that I did this posting before I got to the last chapter. It would have been murder to go back through 72,000 words. 8)

Depending on whose solution you use; It wouldn’t be all that big of a deal to implement my solution even if you had written 500,000 words and had 50,000 SD and ID markers scattered throughout your manuscript. It would only take two lines added to the Replacements tab to get rid of all the instances of those two markers.

Yes, exactly; that is where my head also seems to be traveling. I think I will be implementing that plan first as a time saver. I want to also try the Inline Annotation feature (because I like the visual benefit of the above early post by Brookter) but I don’t want to take the time in the next few days to learn its features and benefits. I am not yet making good use of the inspector and therefore see a bunch of trial and error today with the Inline.

It is additionally unclear to me (per Brookter post) if when using the Inline Annotation [during compile], is only beneficial to the text document at hand or the entire project. Thus, the trial and error time.

Probably could have trial and erred it in the time it took me to type this. :laughing: :laughing:

Unless you change the compilations settings, then Inline Annotations won’t be shown after compilation for the entire project. (Unless you set individual documents to compile ‘As Is’, I think.)

Hmmm. Ouch! I guess I best not venture into the unknown here. Probably risky, trying to remember to change the settings; unless I am misunderstanding the entire Inline Annotation concept.

Since you seem to be unfamiliar with annotations, and the compilation process, going through the interactive tutorial (under help), at your own pace, is probably a good idea at this point. If you’ve been through it, then just revisit the section (“Text Editing”, I think) that covers them and try it out in that learning project.

By doing that, you’ll learn how annotations are created, and that inline annotations are no more or less difficult to use than applying bold to some text. They have the added benefit that the compile window’s “transformations” section, there’s a check-box that will allow you to remove the text that you’ve made into an annotation, or to leave it in the compiled output.

Note that in my previous posts, I was only recommending the “replacements” tab so that you don’t have to go back and change what you’ve already done. Also, just so you understand, the compile process does not change what’s inside of Scrivener. All of your text, including inline annotations, will remain undisturbed. When we say something like “checking this box will remove annotations,” that applies only to the file that is produced by the compile step, not any of the text or formatting that’s inside the project.

Having read your reply, I have just now decided to take a break from the book today and study the tutorial. Probably should have done that 1, 2, 3, or 4 years back, but, I was so excited about the software I just barreled into it, imported the book from Microsoft Word, started self teaching Scrivener, and continued the book in Scrivener. And . . . oh well, here I am.

Having studied the Interactive Tutorial -AND- watching this > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKac1Lv8_Qs < I feel this way:
I already was doing a table, as shown during the video, in the Project Notes for my conventions. All in all, I don’t really care for the Inline Annotations. I feel the feature could use some really good thought out tweaking. I think it’s best -FOR MY MEANS OF APPLICATION- to just make a table of color text conventions in the Inspector Project Notes (like I’ve been doing), copy and paste when needed in documents, delete or include upon desire during compile (now that I understand how to do so), create Collections simply by copy and paste of a convention into Find . . . and run with things from there.

All that said . . . I DO SEE AND FULLY UNDERSTAND THE BENEFITS OF INLINE ANNOTATIONS; I do not undermine their creativity within and will possibly still find a usage for them in my novel.

And that’s perfectly reasonable. There’s often more than one way to achieve something in Scrivener. It’s a toolkit from which you choose the feature best suited to you for a certain task, not a prescribed process. You don’t have to use all the features — in fact I would imagine that nobody uses every single one.

That’s why doing the tutorial is a good idea – it introduces you to what’s available so you can decide what will work best for you. Glad you’ve found an approach that will help.

Thank you. I have appreciated the forum’s assistance.

I must admit that I could very well have been near sighted in the available features of Scrivener. I have been experimenting over the weekend and today with Comments, Inline Annotations, etc.

I think I really do like the Comments. But, I would like to accomplish one more thing: Is there any way to create a Collection of Comments based upon the Comment highlight color? I realize there is a touch of redundancy here, but, would still like to know. I have tried but was not successful.

I know you can’t use highlight colour in order to feed a saved search Collection, so you have two approaches:

1. Use the fact that you’ve got two different codes (ID and SD) which are tied to the colours, and search for just those codes, saving them in a collection. Of course, you’ll only get the entire documents themselves back, not the words in the comment on their own.

2. Use Find by Formatting to cycle through the annotations of a certain colour (there is a shortcut for this but I can’t remember what it is…)

That’s all I can think of at the moment, sorry.