Repeated crashes

Enjoying the latest beta046… except that it simply closes about every 20 or 30 minutes. No fuss, no bother, just disappears.

I have relatively little text, but several folders/short docs imported, all either .docs or .pdfs

Haven’t lost anything yet (good ol’ incremental save)…

Ideas :question:

Just realised (thanks to another thread) how I can access a log of the crash… here you go:

[code]- System

• Provider
    [ Name] Application Error

• EventID 1000
    [ Qualifiers] 0
    Level 2
    Task 100
    Keywords 0x80000000000000

• TimeCreated
    [ SystemTime] 2011-10-24T22:37:29.000000000Z
    EventRecordID 63665
    Channel Application
    Computer STUDY
    Security

• EventData
    Scrivener.exe
    4ea51d09
    QtGui4.dll
    4e957a10
    c0000005
    0017d2c6
    01cc929c1755d43d
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener\Scrivener.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener\QtGui4.dll
    c08872c6-fe90-11e0-be77-0018f3973373
    [/code]
    There’s plenty more where that came from, so if anyone wants more examples, I’ll happily post them up…

Is this a new project, created in 046, or an older one? Did you created it on a Mac? Where were the imported docs created/last saved from?

There seems to be a lurking bug related to certain characters in imported text (or documents created in the Mac version of Scrivener) that we’re working on isolating and fixing, so you might be running into that. Is this happening in just that one project, or does it seem related to working in a specific document in that project?

Good questions…

The project I’m working on has its origins in something I was writing in a previous beta of Scrivener for Windows, so has never been near a Mac I’m afraid. Nor are there - as far as I’m aware - any odd characters.

The supporting material for what I’m writing is a series of Microsoft Office .doc files and a single .pdf - though all of it is straightforward text.

I’d send you the project - or give you access to it - but it’s a long reference I’m writing for someone exploring ordination and therefore confidential - sorry!

Anything else I can look into or check for you?

Now here’s a bizarre thing…

I left the machine on last night and started working again this morning (we’re on UK time here, by the way) - and initially had the same pattern of crashing and restarting.

Then suddenly - and for no apparent reason - the crashing has stopped and I’ve had 45 minutes of trouble-free writing!

Come to think of it, I better get back to it before it changes its mind!!!

:mrgreen: