Repeating Titled Content consisting of Folders containing Document

In my novel, at frequent intervals, about after every two chapters, I have repeating content of several types. They are brief vignettes of about a page or so in length. For example, one type is “Climate Emergency” bulletins, each with different content. For example one might be a brief recounting of massive heat waves. Right now I have formatted each of these as a Folder at chapter level containing one Document. Each Folder’s title will compile as a “Chapter Heading.” I have to repeat the Climate Emergency heading each time (i.e. Climate Emergency: Insurance Collapse Predicted).
Is this the best way to format and compile this kind of repetitive feature?

When working with text of a distinctive nature, put it in a document of its own, with a section type of its own. If every document of that type needs the same heading, put that heading in the Prefix of the corresponding section layout.

2 Likes

Also use a template for this file and adjust as needed when placed in novel. Also use a label color for this file so could search by label color and have a collection of them which could look at in scrivenings view to see if like how they change

That’s a good idea for visual reasons, on the other hand not necessary if a unique section type is in use (which can also be searched for).

Most likely will use as is as section type which preserves file format at compile and often use for front and back matter as well

Here’s how I am imagining this going down:

CHAPTER FOLDER (name = chapter name)
... VIGNETTE DOC (name = specific portion of subhead)
                 (content = vignette body)
... scene doc
... scene doc
... etc

CHAPTER FOLDER (name = chapter name)
... VIGNETTE DOC (name = specific portion of subhead)
... scene doc
... scene doc
... etc
  1. Chapter Folder has section type assigned to a layout which i) kicks out a page break and ii) captures the folder’s TITLE and incorporates it into a Chapter Heading.
  2. Vignette Doc has a sec type assigned to a layout that captures its title and incorporates it into a subheading of the form ‘Climate Emergency: ___________’, and also captures the body of the vignette doc and presents as body text, formatted in whatever way desired.
  3. Followed by regular scene docs for remainder of the chapter.
2 Likes

gr:

What I have now is slightly different:

CHAPTER FOLDER (title = chapter name)
… scene doc
… scene doc
… etc

CHAPTER (VIGNETTE A ) FOLDER (title = chapter name)
Vignette doc (no title) (content = vignette body)

CHAPTER (VIGNETTE B ) FOLDER (title = chapter name)
Vignette doc (no title) (content = vignette body)

CHAPTER FOLDER (title = chapter name)
… scene doc
… scene doc
… etc

Of course, the idea is that the Vignettes are just a couple of pages in between chapters of 20-30 pages each.

I see. You are treating the vignettes as standalone chapters with chapter titling and all. Still, it seems you should be titling the vignette docs with the specific content for the subheading and setting your compile format to pick up on the for such vign docs. That is the automation you wanted, right?

VIGNETTE DOC (name = specific portion of subhead)

Or if doing scenes with title as a layout option use the same for the vignettes and maybe begin and end with *** or longer to isolate and emphasize those when compile.

I don’t feel there are enough items (30 at most) to warrant a need for automation. If there were many more, yes. I was just inquiring about the folder / doc configuration.

It was this passage that seemed to suggest that you were looking for an efficient way to proceed without having to do repetitive work. I guess I was not so clear on what you were looking for here!

You’re right, my question implied I was looking for automation. But for an item that reoccurs about 30 times, I concluded futzing around with a search for automation was harder than simply repeating the title.

Everyone’s pain level is different, but with 30 sections I’d depend on automation to make sure I didn’t miss one. Especially if I changed my mind about the repeating text.

If it changes — it may — I’ll rely on Find / Replace

I would write the text in a separate document outside the draft and then use <$include> in each of your vignette documents. That way, if you want to change the text, you only have to change it in one place.

Mark

I would write the text in a separate document outside the draft and then use <$include> in each of your vignette documents. That way, if you want to change the text, you only have to change it in one place.

That looks like a winner. I wasn’t familiar with that before. Will experiment with it …