Replacing dots with spaces/nothing in TOC when compiling to PDF

Hi there,

I’ve done it in the past but I can’t remember how and can’t find it in the manual.

How do we replace the dots in the TOC with spaces/nothing when compiling to PDF?

Thanks!

I don’t really know the answer, but am happy to speculate!

What I figure is that the dots are determined by a tab stop in those paragraphs. If those paragraphs have a style associated with them, then in your compile format you can specify a different look on output for that style, including in particular, a change in the kind of tab stop that occurs in that position in the paragraph. If the TOC paragraphs do not have an assigned style, I am not sure how you would target those paragraphs at the compile stage.

You could, if compiling as-is, just select the TOC paragraphs and change the type of that tab stop manually, of course, style or no style.

Hi there,

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes it’s an “as is” section (no styles) as I paste there the TOC (copy special) and do some additional formatting.

I regenerated my TOC recently, and I must have forgotten how I did the formatting to get rid of the dots. I’ll add it to my notes when I find a way to do it again :slight_smile:

Yes the copy special as TOC created a tab stop when you paste the content, but I have no idea how to change the type of type stop manually when I select the paragraphs. When I right click on the tab, I can only select left, right, centre or decimal tag…

Any idea?

I searched my old posts and found one where @AmberV helped me a lot, including resolving this issue.

So for anyone trying to do this, you only have to select the TOC then format/font/underline/none and all the dots disappear :slight_smile:

I’ve made a note in my compiling notes so that I remember how to do it next time…

2 Likes

Select the underlines (or the whole page) and hit ⌘U twice.

Thanks for the shortcut, that’s what I posted above your post :slight_smile:

Cool. It worked with the Windows version of 3.1.4 as well.