Replacing "Part" title page with image instead

I’ve been using Scrivener for years, but have only begun using it to output epub files this year.

I’m currently working on a book for publication. My book is broken up simply:

PART folder

CHAPTER folder
scene document

Right now the name of the PART folder appears as a page in my book that reads PART ONE or PART TWO or etc.

I’d like to be able to replace that page with a graphical PART page. I have no idea how to do this, though, and I’m not sure I’ve seen it done before. I’m sure it’s not as difficult as it seems. Would anybody have some suggestions?

Thanks!

Yeah, this is actually pretty easy to do. You’ll want to open the text editor for the part folder, which can be done by simply toggling the group view mode off once you click on it. Drop your picture in here, and then make sure that your Formatting compile settings export “Text” for level one folders. By default folders only export titles. You’ll probably also want to remove the automatic title information. That “Title” checkbox controls half of it (the name of the folder from the Binder). The other part that is generating the generic text and numbering is in the “Section Layout” button, under Prefix.

Thanks, Amber. I happened across a different way to do this yesterday, and it worked great, although I think it created a new problem. Maybe you can help me figure it out?

Here’s what I did to solve the title/image problem:

  • I created a custom meta-data field for the folder PART ONE. The field is called “Image”. In this field, I put an image name (let’s call it “xyz”).
  • I added the image xyz.png to my Research folder.
  • In the formatting section of Compile, I unchecked “Title” for the top level folder.
  • When I export the file as an epub, I have a page that uses xyz.png instead of displaying the text “Part One”.

So it worked.

But now, when I export my epub, my homemade table of contents is getting jacked. I wonder if it has anything to do with the image solution I used above. My table of contents will either a) disappear from the Contents document, or b) only display a portion of the Contents list, and remove the Scrivener links from the list.

Could this have anything to do with the fact that my top-level folders are all displaying images instead of text now?

Ha, that was an esoteric conflict of settings that I did not anticipate. :slight_smile: See, by default if you create a Scrivener Link to something and the text of that link is identical to the Binder title of the thing it is linking to, the compiler will automatically modify the link text to match the final rendition of the title, based on any modifications done in the Formatting pane. If that made no sense, think of it this way, if you have some text, “Introduction” linked to a binder item called “Introduction”, and your Formatting settings have a prefix set up to change that to “Chapter 18: Introduction”, then the text of the hyperlink itself will be modified to match that.

So, what is happening here is you are modifying the hyperlink text in your ToC file to an image code, which it seems Scrivener is programmed to ignore (or just outright wasn’t programmed to handle in the first place). Either way the result is desirable to you, because you wouldn’t want the ToC document to have all of the part graphics in it anyway—but it is creating a side-effect whereby there is no text left in the title and it is stripped out of the document.

The solution therefore is to disable this convenience option. You will find the checkbox for that in the “Title Adjustments” compile option pane, which pops up whenever a prefix/suffix has been supplied in the Formatting pane. At the bottom of this pane, disable “Update titles in Scrivener links with prefix and suffix settings”. In my tests, I replicated your set-up as best as I could from the descriptions, with a graphic being substituted during compile via an image tag in the prefix field, and a custom ToC file. With this option disabled, my custom ToC file retained the part links both visually and functionally.

Naturally this means you will need to forgo numbered ToC titles for just whatever is printed in the ToC document.

Amber, thanks very much! I’m going to go try this right now, but it sounds like exactly what I’m experiencing.

That absolutely worked. You’re a lifesaver – thank you!