Resarch file navigation

Hi,

I have just started using a Scrivener. I have placed some longish research files (pdf and text) into the Research folder. What I would like to do is to navigate within these files to particular points, then click between them. However I find that when I leave a file and come back to it I am back at the begining. Is there any way round this?

Thank you

Just open two windows, either in vertical or horizontal display.
Select the Research file to display in one window, and write in the other.
It’s all covered in section IV of the FAQ.
https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/scrivener-faq/332/1

When you reopen a document, it jumps to the point that was last selected, so just select something in the PDF file or click into the text you were looking at so that the insertion point is there. That way, when you come back, it will open where you want it.
Best,
Keith

Thanks Keith, I have now tried your suggestion and it works fine for text files, but I am not able to select anything within the pdf file.

Perhaps I have done something wrong in importing it as the pdf display options are grayed out?

Chris

It depends on the PDF file - if it is not a text-based file, you won’t be able to select anything. That said, I told you wrong about PDF files anyway. PDF files scroll to the last page viewed, regardless of the selection. So, whichever page you can see at the top of the PDF view will be the one that gets scrolled to (even if you can only see the bottom margin of it, because that is the one that the PDF kit returns as the current page).

Best,
Keith

Ok I have now imported a couple of pdf files properly via the import command. Navigation is working as you described and I am happily switching between various research sources without losing my place!

Thanks for your help.

Chris