Research Folder-Converting Web Pages

Hi, I have several webpages already imported into my research folder and I have a few questions on what I can do with them now that I have them. (Scrivener for Windows)

1. (strike this question out - I just found it in the differences between Mac/Windows post) In some help vids it mentions I can convert the webpages to either text or pdf’s but when I right-click on one of the items the “convert to file” option is grayed out. Is this a Mac function only?

2. When I have tried to import the webpage as text the resulting doc is full of odd spellings/characters. Is this just a function of the webpage and I’m better off importing the webpage and trying to convert to text or pdf?

3. When I am on a webpage in my research folder the name of the page shows up in the title bar. To the left is the webpage icon with a down arrow. When I click on the down arrow one of the options is “take a snapshot” - can I correctly assume this means to take a snapshot of the webpage as it is, and the page would then be available to me offline when I open this Scrivener project and click on the webpage in my research folder?

Any suggestions as to what else I can do with these webpages in my research folder?

Thank you.

As you noted, there aren’t conversion options at present for imported webpages. “What you can do with them” will depend a little on what format they are. If you imported these prior to 1.7.1, they might be HTML files, which could be exported and then re-imported after enabling “Convert HTML files to text” in the Import/Export options. If they were imported as “Dynamic webpage”, then they’re actually not imported files at all but links to the active webpage online, essentially using the editor as a browser. In that case I’d say you’d want to just re-import them now in 1.7.1 using whichever option seems best–you can choose to import directly as a PDF or using plain-text.

Even if the file is already an HTML or image file from 1.6.1, you may still want to just re-import the original web page using one of the new options in 1.7.1. This may help with the encoding issues you referenced. If you’re importing as plain-text, you can choose the encoding you want–probably UTF-8, but you can check the source code on the webpage you’re downloading.

The “Take Snapshot” option only applies to text documents, and in fact it’s a bug that it’s not disabled in the header menu in this case–you’ll find that it is in the main Documents > Snapshots menus. It’s a way of saving a version of a text file, allowing you to roll back to a different version of your file after making edits. Snapshots are only applicable to text documents simply because they’re the only files that Scrivener can directly edit. (Snapshots are covered in section 15.6 of the user manual.)

In 1.7.1, webpages that you download are saved to your hard drive (into the Scrivener project’s folder) and are thus available offline; they’re static copies from the time you import. This is true of earlier versions as well with the exception of the “Dynamic Webpage” option that used to be available, which simply saved a link to the webpage in your binder and did not save a copy of the page. These pages would only be available when Scrivener can access the internet and might change or break if the page is updated on the server. If you used this format previously, I’d suggest re-downloading now in 1.7.1 to save a static PDF copy of the page.

You could also try copying and pasting from the webpage rather than importing, if you only need portions of the page saved and want an editable version.

Thank you so much for the very thorough reply. You answered all my questions and I’ve learned more about the program. Looks like timing is in my favor w/the new update.