Resetting Scrivener to default formatting

I’ve been using Scrivener for a few months for my PhD. It’s great software. I’ve made some tweaks to the default templates, though - changing font sizes, etc - and I’d now like to reset these templates to the factory settings. How can I do this?

If it’s not possible to reset just the templates then an app-wide factory reset would work, too. Thanks!

Can you just create a new temporary project from one of the vanilla templates and copy and paste any settings and files back into your custom ones?

I’m not sure if I follow what you’re going after though, because Scrivener’s default formatting rules are not altered by our templates. It is possible to have a project (and thus a template) use its own font and paragraph formatting, but we specifically do not use that feature in our templates to avoid confusion. All default formatting comes from the Formatting preference pane.

Well there is a preference reset. The “Defaults” button in the lower-right will do that for you. That’s not going to change anything in regards to what is saved inside of a template though.

If you want to take it further you would have to trash your Scrivener “Application Support” folder from the Library, too (you can use the main Scrivener application menu to get there easily). Be careful with that one though, by default that is where Scrivener saves your project backups! There may also be a few other things in there you wouldn’t want to discard.