Restore Outline View on Restart

When I open Scrivener, it does a wonderful job of restoring my various documents in the right editor, the left editor, and the various Quick-reference panels I have open, but I would like it to restore the document in the left editor in Outline mode without having to manually click “Outline” in the Group Mode pill of buttons. Is it possible to have that document open automatically in Outline mode?

Thanks in advance.

This should happen—it’ll even happen if you leave outline turned on for something that typically wouldn’t show it, like a text file. The last view mode type that you select will stick until you change it to something else. Could you describe in a bit more detail what you are seeing—such as what it is before you have to switch to Outliner? Does it stay in Outliner after you set it and click away to something else and then back? Does this happen in all of your projects?

Thanks for the quick reply. Outline mode will stay on through a Scrivener restart for any document in my editor history but will revert to the normal, un-grouped view mode if the document is the one I am actually viewing (in either the right or left editor). Outline mode persists if I click to another app (or virtual desktop in Spaces) then back, but it fails on the restart for all of my projects.

By normal un-grouped view mode, do you mean the text editor? Is this a text document then or a group with text in it? Sorry I wasn’t clear with my second question, I mean if you click to another item in the binder right after loading, and then click back to the one that was giving you troubles, does it pop back to Outliner then? Along those lines, if after you select outliner and then click on another item in the Binder and then back (not using history, just to keep things simple), what happens?

Have you tried in a new blank test project, leaving it on the same type of thing you have selected? Does the same thing happen then or is it only happening in this project?

Could you please provide exact steps to reproduce this?
Thanks,
Keith

By “normal ungrouped view mode,” I do mean the text editor.

It is a text file (with text in it and sub-files/documents. I never use groups. I did, however, find that the outline form will persist through restarts and through re-opening the file from the binder if I convert it to a group, so that solves my problem (although I thought Scrivener treated both files and folders the same, so I didn’t even consider this as the potential solution).

As for the problem, if I click on the binder right after loading then back to the document that is giving me trouble (through document history), the document reverts to its outline form. If I click on the binder to open a new document then open the troubling document (again through the binder), the document is now in the text editor form. Any time I open the document fresh from the binder, it appears in the text editor. (These are all file type documents.)

I get the same results from a new project and from my other projects.

Thanks again and thanks for the wonderful program that so often (virtually always) does exactly what I want that it feels it was written especially for me.

This is expected behaviour. Document history always opens the document in the same view mode it was left at that point in the history (so the same document can open in different modes depending on where it in the history and how it was when you switched to a different document). Clicking on a document in the binder opens it in its default view/group mode, though. For text documents and text groups (containers), this is the text editor. For groups, it is whichever group mode was last selected.

[quote]
(although I thought Scrivener treated both files and folders the same, so I didn’t even consider this as the potential solution)
[/quote

No - they are fundamentally the same and you can convert between one and the other, but their default
behaviour
is different. The main difference is that folders open in the current group mode, whereas text files and text groups open in the text editor.

If you want text groups to be treated the same as folders, then you need to tick “Treat all documents with subdocuments as folders” in the Navigation pane of the preferences.

All the best,
Keith

Thanks for the quick reply, and thanks for the clarification on the difference between folders and files. I should’ve known that there was a reason for the difference, everything in the program being so thoughtfully done.