Restored .scriv won't open

A search of the archive revealed a few similar problems but not this one…
I use Backup (to iDisk) in addition to TM (to a local HDD). Don’t know whether Zipping is an option / recommended here but in any event, I don’t.
On a skeptical whim I just tried a Restore of the whole project folder from iDisk. This folder holds the .scriv plus a few .png and .rtf files. When the Restore (to another location, of course) had apparently successfully downloaded the .scriv and a couple of others, I interrupted it as I wanted only to check the .scriv. Scrivener will not open the .scriv: ‘No valid project could be found at the specified path.’ The .png and .rtf files open OK.
Disc space is not an issue - tons everywhere.
Thoughts? Seems unlikely the interruption was the cause or I’d have tried running the Restore to completion before raising the question.

Ted Davison
+44 7710 045868

Hi,
I would imagine that the interruption was exactly the cause. A .scriv file is really just a folder full of files. If you interrupt copying it either during restore or backup, then not all of the files will be copied, and some essential ones will be missing - such as the binder structure in your case, thus your error. In general, I’d recommend zipping for backups.
All the best,
Keith

I’ll bet the interruption was the cause. Definitely zip your backups. Otherwise you run the risk of ending up with a partial .scriv package, which is probably what happened here.

Thank you. Can you explain why Zipping is so important? Apart from saving bandwidth, what other benefits does it offer?

Ted Davison
+44 7710 045868

https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/working-off-of-network-drives-mobileme-thumb-drives/5101/1

Thanks again. Exemplary technical English.

Ted Davison
+44 7710 045868